Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

ra-csv

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1989 BUICK ELECTRA WITH A 3.8 ENGINE. THE CAR WAS STALLING ON ME FOR ABOUT A MONTH. THE OTHER DAY WHEN I WAS DRIVING, I LOST POWER AND WAS RUNNING LOUSY. I MANAGED TO MAKE IT HOME AND WHEN I OPENED HOOD TO SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS, IT WOULD STILL IDLE BUT WOULD BACKFIRE WHEN YOU GAVE IT THROTTLE. I SHUT IT OFF AND NOW IT WON'T START AND IT POPS OR BACKFIRES THROUGH THE INTAKE. I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT WHEN I WAS DRIVING, I MIGHT HAVE SMELLED SOMETHING BURNING, LIKE ELECTRICAL. MY CAR RAN LIKE THIS WHEN THE IGNITION MODULE WENT OUT SO I REPLACED AGAIN TODAY THINKING THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. I REPLACED THE COIL PACK LAST TIME WHEN I REPLACED THE IGNITION MODULE BUT I DIDNT WHEN I PEPLACED IGNITION MODULE TODAY. THE TILT STEERING COLUMN IS REALLY LOOSE SO I WAS WONDERING IF THIS MADE MY IGNITION SWITCH GO BAD OR WHAT ELSE COULD BE THE PROBLEM? IT SEEMS LIKE IM GETTING PLENTY OF FUEL PRESSURE
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

did the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes/

tims auto repair :

?

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer :

the check engine light is working but it didn't come on when car was running bad

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

first,,remove the new igniton module,,auto zone and most parts stores can test these,,

tims auto repair :

it is posible to get a bad new one

Customer :

car wont start now, just backfires or pops through intake when you turn it over

tims auto repair :

yes,,it is as if it is out of time on the ignition

tims auto repair :

if the module does check out and is good

tims auto repair :

and

tims auto repair :

sense it did stall before with you at times

tims auto repair :

the problem may be the crank sensor

tims auto repair :

these will do this sometimes when they go bad

tims auto repair :

and,,most times not give a code

Customer :

got a brand new one on warranty and installed today but still the same result-no start, maybe crank sensor or ecm?

tims auto repair :

57_dom_89_039-0122.png
Full Size Image

Engine Compartment Component Location

RH Side Of Engine

Applicable to Bonneville, Electra, LeSabre, Park Avenue, 88 & 98 w/V6-231/3.8L VIN C

tims auto repair :

25_89cec7-001.png
Full Size Image

Crankshaft Sensor Positioning

26_89cec7-005.png
Full Size Image

Special Tool; Assembly

*** UPDATED BY TSB #91-6E-5 DATE: 11/90

The harmonic balancer on these engines is now press fit on to the crankshaft and requires the use of tool J-38197 for removal. The torque specification to be used during installation has also been revised from what was originally published. The procedure to be used when replacing the crank sensor is as follows:

REMOVAL:

1. Disconnect the serpentine belt from the crankshaft pulley.

2. Raise the vehicle on the hoist.

3. Remove the right front tire and wheel assembly.

4. Remove the right inner fender access cover.

5. Using a 28 mm socket, remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer retaining bolt.

6. Remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer using tool J-38197.

7. Remove the foreign object deflector (DO NOT use a pry bar).

8. Disconnect the sensor electrical connector.

9. Remove the sensor and pedestal from the block face.

10. Remove the sensor from the pedestal.

INSTALLATION:

1. Loosely install the crankshaft sensor on the pedestal.

2. Position the sensor with the pedestal attached on tool J-37089.

3. Position the tool on the crankshaft.

4. Install the bolts to hold the pedestal to the block face, torque to 30 Nm (22 lb ft).

5. Torque the pedestal pinch bolt to 4 Nm (35 lb in).

6. Remove tool J-37089.

7. Install the foreign object deflector.

8. Place tool J-37089 on the harmonic balancer and rotate the tool. If any vane of the harmonic balancer touches the tool, replace the balancer assembly.

9. Install the balancer on the crankshaft.

10. Apply thread sealer GM #(NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent to threads of the crankshaft balancer bolt. Using J-36660 Torque Angle Meter, torque the bolt to 140 Nm + 56 degrees (104 lb ft + 56 degrees).

11. Install the inner fender shield.

12. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Torque lug nuts to 140 Nm (104 lb ft).

13. Lower the vehicle.

14. Install the serpentine belt.

tims auto repair :

yes..the crank sensor is a very good suspect here...

tims auto repair :
Customer :

the tilt steering column is real loose and when I would make a sharp right hand turn, it would stall before this happened

tims auto repair :

i see

tims auto repair :

i wouldnt think this is the problem sense the ignition switch is on the lower of the column

tims auto repair :

though we can not rule it out..

tims auto repair :

but,,sense it acts as if it is out of time,,,i lean torward the crank sensor,,or ignition module

tims auto repair :

these crank snsors would go bad from time to time

tims auto repair :

the engine would die as if the key was turned off

tims auto repair :

then,,after it sat a while..would restart as if nothing was wrong.

tims auto repair :

nad,,not give a code

Customer :

I was going to try a new ignition switch first before crank sensor, since I don't have special tool to replace sensor or puller to take off balancer---- as much as I dislike taking to mechanic, I might have to id rather fix myself

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

i understand that

Customer :

maybe coil pack?

tims auto repair :

the coil pack is also posible

tims auto repair :

i always replace it with the ignition module

tims auto repair :

it is posible for the coil to go bad and send high voltage to the module,,burning it out

tims auto repair :

61_af405006-003.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 3 Ignition Switch Removal. Standard Column

62_af405006-004.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 4 Dimmer Switch Removal. Standard Column

63_af405006-005.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 5 Ignition & Dimmer Switch Removal. Tilt Column & Column W/SIR

64_af405006-006.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 6 Disconnecting Dimmer Switch From Bulkhead Connector

Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system as described in MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES/AIRBAG SYSTEM DISARMING prior to working on or near the steering column.

1. Remove turn signal switch as outlined under STEERING SUSPENSION CHASSIS AND BODY COMPONENTS/STEERING/COMPONENT REPLACEMENT AND REPAIR PROCEDURES/TURN SIGNAL SWITCH procedure.
2. Refer to Figs. 3 through 5, to remove ignition and dimmer switches.
3. Refer to Fig. 6 to disconnect dimmer switch from bulkhead connector.
4. When installing dimmer switch, depress switch slightly to install a 3/32 inch twist drill. Force switch upward to remove lash and tighten retaining screw.

Customer :

ok, will try new coil pack also but ignition module was new out of box that I installed today.

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

if the coil pack was bad at first,,it could have burnt up the new module as soon as you tried to start

tims auto repair :

this is why you need to have the module tested

tims auto repair :
Customer :

I also need to know how to fix loose tilt steering column

tims auto repair :

you need to remove the steering wheel

tims auto repair :

and tighten the bearing in the tilt

tims auto repair :

i will see if i have something on this

tims auto repair :

one second

Customer :

when I figure out problem, I will get you paid

tims auto repair :

i dont have allot of pictures on this old of model

tims auto repair :

but..remove the steering wheel then the spring,,then you can tighten it

tims auto repair :

SUBJECT:
SERVICE MANUAL UPDATE - SECTION 3F5A, (SIR) TILT COLUMN UNIT REPAIR (NEW TILT COMPRESSOR)

MODELS AFFECTED:
ALL BUICKS WITH SIR

To aid in the removal and installation of the tilt spring in vehicles with SIR tilt steering columns, a new tool J39246, Tilt Spring Compressor, has been released.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Zoom and Print Options

51_gmT93315930701-002.png
Full Size Image

The sheet illustrates tilt spring compressor and provides the procedure to be followed for proper removal and installation of tilt spring.

Distribution of this new tool to dealers is anticipated to be completed by mid July, 1993.

TILT SPRING
Tools Required:
J 39246 Tilt Spring Compressor

Remove or Disconnect

1. Seat counterbore of tool J 39246 over end of steering shaft.
2. Thread and seat standard hexagon nut on shaft to secure tool.
3. Align square extension on end of tool bolt with square hole in spring retainer and seat.
4. Rotate tool bolt clockwise with wrench until it contacts surface of tool block.

Inspect

^ Spring retainer must be compressed approximately 1/4-inch into housing.

Important

^ Square hole in spring retainer may become stripped. Ensure spring retainer is compressed at least 1/4-inch and is turned no more than 1/4-turn.

5. Rotate hexagon section on end of tool bolt counter clockwise approximately 1/4-turn.

6. Unscrew tool bolt until spring and retainer are loose and free of tool.
7. Remove retainer, spring, spring guide, and tool.

Install or Connect

NOTICE:
If new spring is to be installed grease spring and spring guide.

1. Install spring, spring guide, and spring retainer to housing.
2. Align securing tabs on spring retainer with slots in tilt spring hole.
3. Tool J 39246 to steering shaft and retainer. (Do steps 1 through 4, Inspect, and Important to setup tool and compress spring.
4. Rotate hexagon section on end of tool bolt clockwise approximately 1/4-turn to lock retainer into place.
5. Unscrew tool bolt and remove from shaft. (Spring and retainer must be locked into position in housing.

Inspect

^ Tilt housing to all positions to ensure smooth and proper operation of tilt spring.

tims auto repair :
tims auto repair :
Customer :

how did the price to answer a question in 2010 go from $9.00 to $29.00? seems like a little high to me

tims auto repair :

i have no idea of how they charge,,,i am a mechanic

tims auto repair :

you would need to ask customer service that question

Customer :

I will have to wait to get money to buy the coil pack, ect. before I can get you paid

tims auto repair :

you have already paod i think

tims auto repair :

paid

tims auto repair :

when you leave me a rating,,it doesnt charge you again

tims auto repair :

i show you have already paid the site

tims auto repair :

a positive rating only reflects on me,,,,,,it gives me a commission and a service rating

Customer :

ok, I will let you know what happens when I replace ignition switch and coil pack. how do you test ignition module?

tims auto repair :

auto zone and most parts stores will test the module for free,,it takes a special machine,,you cant test it at home

tims auto repair :

dont forget the crank sensor

tims auto repair :

it can cause this also

tims auto repair :

if the module checks out..i would think it is the crank sensor or the coil pack

tims auto repair :

let me know what you get

tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :
Customer :

when I was at o'reilly auto parts they couldn't test it I don't think auto zone can test either. maybe napa?

tims auto repair :

yes,,perhaps

tims auto repair :

most times auto zone does have the tester for these older modules