Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

2005 X-Type P1642 code which is a CAN bus problem

I have a 2005 X-Type AWD 3.0 with 82,000. Today I got the P1642 code which is a CAN bus problem. What is the fix for this; how much should it cost; and must I take it to a dealer?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

This code here can indicate possibly an internal or external fault to the engine control module,wiring for data transfer shorted to ground,voltage or open circuit or possibly an electrical fault in another control unit like the instrument cluster.

The data circuits would need tested/checked using a multi meter to test resistances and shorts and in some cases a scan tool to monitor engine computer data.If you have these tools here I can tell you how to test some of these here to see if we can locate the fault.

The cost for repair can vary depending on what is at fault as it may involve several hours or diagnosis and labor and if wiring is at fault this would need repaired or replaced or if it is an internal control unit like the ECM at fault this can sometimes cost around $1800 parts and labor.It is best to have a dealer or experienced shop take a look into this to locate the fault as they should have the best tools to diagnose and locate the fault here.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.If you are not satisfied with my help here let me know before rating my help.3 to 5 smiley faces for a rating is appreciated.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the tools. Can you walk me through what and how to check?

Thanks, J

O.k.,the first check is to make sure the ecm is not damaged externally as well as the wiring isn't damaged at the ecm,you would have to check the electrical connections at the ecm to see if this is a problem.

Then next locate your dlc connector (this is the connector you use to hook up the scan tool) and locate terminal 6 in this connector,this may be a yellow wire.Take your multi meter and connect the ground lead to a good ground point and take the positive lead and test this terminal for resistance.Let me know if you have more or less then 10 k (10,000 ohms resistance).

Your engine control module should be located under the hood on the passenger side near the firewall.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete