Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Land Rover LR3: Land Rover LR3, displays suspension fault and

Customer Question

Land Rover LR3, displays suspension fault and special programs off once the ignition is onn. The fault codes in the suspension system are: U0416 Invalid data received from the vehicle dynamic system, C1A13 Pressure does not decrease when venting gallery, C1A11 Pressure increase when system inactive.

The brake system also has C1A96 Brake light switch, C1A94 Right front wheel speed sensor.
Category: Car
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still waiting.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still waiting.

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry for any delay .So what was replaced so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have installed new air suspension compressor, new front right wheel speed sensor and a new brake switch. U0416 sometimes gets cleared and registers as a fault while C1A96 doesn't clear at all.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Have the height sensors been checked for this issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Non of the height sensors reported as faulty during diagnosis.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok but they can still be the problem.If you look at them see if any look like they are any signs of water intrusion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have unplugged them and have not seen signs of water intrusion.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok has the control unit been checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I check it?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
You can see if there are any signs of overheating in the unit .I usually remove the unit and open it up to see if there are any spots that are burned on the printed circuit board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where is it located?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I can upload a digram for you .
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
The ECU is located underneath the front left hand seat. The ECU maintains the requested vehicle ride height by adjusting the volume in each air spring. It is connected to the cable assembly by a 35 way connector. To ensure safe operation the ECU has extensive on board diagnostic and safety features. The ECU must be replaced in case of failure . I would check this next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Under the driver's seat?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didn't see anything like ECU under seat.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Ok on some models it can be under the passenger seat . Did you look there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not there too.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me do a little more research that's usually the location. But being a non US made vehicle it may be different. I will post the location for you asap.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just located it. Do I need to program a new one?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
No no programming needed. Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have just installed another air suspension ECU from another LR3 but the suspension fault signal on the dash is red with special programs off. No improvement.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Was the battery disconnected when this was installed if not disconnect the battery for 15 minutes then reinstall the module .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure, the battery was disconnected.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok and you got the module as per same exact year and Vin number correct? Also now you have different error messages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

U0416 and the brake switch errors are still persistent.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok was the brake switch bought at the dealer this will make a big difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The brake switch was also from the other LR3. The new dealer ECU is an updated version. The suspension fault indicator was also red when installed. It only says wait without giving access to perform tests or clear errors.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
There was a brake light switch recall on these vehicles are you sure the other one is good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just got a new switch and nothing changed.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Ok there has to be a broken wire in the communication line then was this checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I check?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Need to follow the harness from the air suspension ecu out to all the sensors for the pumps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just took my time to trace the harness and have found nothing.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok well at least we can rule that out.So what codes are still left all of them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

UO416 and C1A96 refused to go out.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok check the wire connections in the passenger side sill I have seen these break and cause this issue let me know what you find thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where is the sill?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
The bottom plastic by the door is the sill and wires run there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are there specific wires to check?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes all the wires I can the loom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have spent much of my time checking the wires and all are good.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok so no broken wires at all? Let me see what I can post for you to check next.