Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Suzuki Forenza: My car is overheating. It is not the thermostat

My car is overheating. It is not the thermostat since I put a new one in and it had no effect on the problem. Is there any way to know for sure if the problem is the water pump? It's a big job to replace. The top hose is hot and the bottom is warm.
How many miles on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

134,000

OK and the water pump is original correct ?Have you tried to flush the radiator?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We did flush the radiator since we recently did a complete head job on the car along with new gaskets. The car overheats almost immediately, like in 3 minutes.

Was this the original problem before the head gaskets?Sounds like exhaust is getting into the cooling system are the hoses really hard?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I never thought of that. It did have some over heating problem before. We had a shop resurface the head and rework all the valves.

Was that the issue? Did you need any further assistance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. After replacing the head gasket, I have the problem of the car overheating. The thermostat is not the problem. I was wondering what the unit is to the right of the head below the plug wires. Is that a type of motor? If it went bad, could it explain the overheating?

One is the coil pack the other the EGR vale neither will cause overheating.Water pump still was not replaced as well as the fan operation was this checked ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Both fans turn on. And water pump has not been replaced. The head gasket was replaced a month ago. Is there any way that the coolant could be turning into steam from combustion? I can't see how that gasket could be bad so quick especially since I had it cut down so I know it's not a warping problem. Thanks

No not really sounds like more of a circulation problem I would have that checked next.