Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

2005 for: 2005 f_150 4.6 l Was experiencing some slight hesitation

2005 f_150 4.6 l
Was experiencing some slight hesitation for a day with no codes. suddenly P0351 0352-0353 and 0354. Can all four coils be bad at the same time or is it more likely to be something else. Motorcraft coils are less than 4 months old.

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Steve :

Those codes could be from no power to the coil or the computer is not firing the coil. Need to check the coil for power to it on cylinder 1,2,3,4,

Customer:

Hello Steve. Is this something that would happen suddenly? Is the power feed different for the other 4 coils?

Steve :

Check the red wire at the coil connector, do you have battery voltage with the key on?

Steve :

It is odd the whole one side is bad it could be the power to the coil they are all feed by one wire to the coils.

Customer:

Ok, I will get my meter and get started. If there is no voltage, would the culprit be the harness or the computer?

Steve :

Ii would be in the wiring harness if you have no power. If you do have power then it could be the computer

Customer:

Thanks. I will get back to you.

Steve :

Your welcome

Customer:

I checked the coils and they all have power. I started the engine and it is running smooth. The codes are gone. I'm afraid to drive it because it is so intermittent. Any sugguestions?

Steve :

Then that sounds like the computer is going to need to be replaced.

Steve :

The computer fires the coil on plugs and the part of the computer that fires them is not working intermittently, Unfortunately you are going to need to replace the computer. To resolve your concern.