Andy, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed in both truck/coach and automotive fields with over 17+ years experience.
30303843

ford Explorer Eddie Bauer: im trying to find info about electrical

Customer Question

im trying to find info about electrical system. ('94 explorer).my fuel gauge stoped working about the same time the compass/temp. system went out. im having trouble with all window motors not pushing or pulling yet the motor do try to work (making clicking like the window is already in diriction trying to go) sometimes when very cold maybe down to 15 or 20 the digital readout on the compass/temp face lights everything at once not reading any thing till i hit the mode button thinking , oh it's working again. and it just goes dark
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steven,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

The compass issue on this model can be a common fault as Ford has released a bulletin on this issue.The correction for this is to replace the map lamp,switch and compass and wiring harness with an updated/revised over head console kit.The kit part number I show is a F67Z-7851-9C42-AA from a Ford dealer.From what you have described this sounds like what needs replaced to correct this here.

Most common to cause an inoperable fuel gage is usually a faulty fuel level sender in the fuel tank itself.This can fail electronically and when it does the gage may default to empty or fluctuate in some cases.I would have the fuel level sender resistance tested to make sure it is at fault causing this.If you want to know how to test this let me know and I will post it here.

For the window issue in some cases the wiring that passes from the doors to the body can break as they age and become brittle and with doors opening and closing this flexes the aged wiring and can cause the break.I have also seen the master window switch fail in some cases and cause this fault as well.The voltage and ground signals would need tested to the window motors to see if we can locate the fault.If you have a multi meter or even a test light I can tell you how to test this here just let me know.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.If you are not satisfied with my help here let me know before rating my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Pete;
I failed to mention that the oil temp gauge above the fuel gauge went out the same time as fuel gauge.all other gauges are working.and lights in the dash. the window motors started messing up one by one about few weeks apart from each other. power seems to be going to the motors but not sure if it is the power required. as i can help the window a bit with my hand on it and move them up and down.it has been suggested by a friend, that i check the body grounding? ive checked all fuses i could find and started to follow the fuel sensor line to the tank till i found the metal case covering the plastic and said " another day day maybe" just resently my wipers began to only work on hi speed not sure if any of this is related as they all seem to be so far seperate to me. i do have a multimeter and test light . it could take a few days to return to your reply as i an a truck driver and can't get on line every day. or work on the car! thanks for your reply and i will wait to hear back from you before embarking on any further electrical work

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If you can remove your door panel on one of the doors with the most severe window fault locate the window motor attached to the window regulator inside of the door.There should be a two wire connector plugged into it.Disconnect it and install your meter in line between the two wires set on DC volts.Make sure all window switches are plugged in and turn on the key and operate the motor switch for that window and see if you have 12 volts or more.

Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's snowing outside now so i'll have to check voltage to motors in a few days when i get back home again. in the meanwhile any idea how the fuel gauge and oil temp could be related,as one sits over the other on the dash panel. these both when out at the same time. what a nightmare,sure would be nice to find one common fault that is causing all this trouble.

thanks Pete, get back to you when i can.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
With both of these gages failing at the same time here this sounds like it may be due to an internal electrical fault in the instrument cluster itself.This can sometimes be common especially if all of the other gages and components are working in the cluster.

Let me know what you come up with for the windows when your ready.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

guess that means i'll have to set aside some time to pull the dash off and take a look at the backside? I would think about scraping but ive become fond of the car,like a friend with issues!

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Since both the gage issues occurred at the same time and all others are o.k. it sounds like this may be an internal fault in the cluster itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I was looking for help to fix several electrical problems that came up in a short matter of time which seemed to be be quite a coinsidience. all i hear is the typical somthing most be wrong lets start replaceing stuff and not try to find what went wrong and try to fix that issue.I have some bit of mechanical ablity my self on older cars. i have rebuilt a few engines also. but this electric thing with a 94 ford was just mind boggling to my so i was looking for help. what i realy could have used was a wiring diagram or schematic.looking for that i came across this site. now i am no closser to finding a solution that when i started
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to try and help ! What kind of diagrams and for what circuits are you looking for exactly ?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
graphic
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
I would start by making sure you have a strong clean ground and power going to the overhead console by disconnecting from the microprocessor and load testing the power and ground wires going to it with a headlight . I would do the same with the instrument cluster power and ground circuits. I will try and find the diagrams for that as well.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
graphic
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Here is the instrument cluster wiring diagram ! Sorry but could only paste half of diagram because it is so big ! I noticed that both the overhead console and the instrument cluster are grounded at the same location at ground location G200 which is located behind the left kick panel below the dash . I would start there by cleaning the grounds really good in that location !
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Here is the wiring for power windows ! Notice something again ! The power windows are also grounded at the G200 location behind the kick panel on the left side under the dash . Now these 3 diagrams show the same ground in common so that must be the problem if all 3 circuits started to fail at the same time ! Hope this helps you out ! Thanks ! Please click on Accept as this is the only way I get paid for my time and services here on Just Answer ! Feedback and Bonus are also greatly appreciated !
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
graphic
Andy, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Licensed in both truck/coach and automotive fields with over 17+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you andy. that should give me a starting point. ill find that spot and see if making sure the ground is true there improves any of this issue.and thanks for the diagrams so i can try to track down other circuits related if that spot dont get it done.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
No problem ! Good luck and thanks!