Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi
21364095

Mercury villager: i just bought a 1995 villager that i was

i just bought a 1995 villager that i was told has a bad fuel pump. the engine starts with starting fluid. the lock cylinder outer part is loose and turns without the ignition turning. there is a clicking under the driver side dash that sounds like a flasher. it will stop if the key is in the on position but stays clicking in off.lock.and acc. do not see any flashers on. i can push in on the lock cylinder and it will stop until i release it. what is making the noise and if i replace the lock cylinder will the keys have to be recoded? is it maybe security system? also where is the button for the emergency flashers?
Category: Car
Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are definitely experiencing an issue with the lock housing or ignition cylinder. While it is possible for the switch to be an issue, due to the switch being mounted off the housing this becomes slightly less likely since pushing on the cylinder seems to affect it which would have a lesser effect on the switch.

The first thing I would do at this point is remove the ignition cylinder and see if it appears loose or damaged on the end. As well inspect in the cylinder hole to see if there is excessive wear in the housing, etc.

If both look OK and no obvious fault is found, then I would consider replacing the ignition switch. I would be more suspicious that you would find an issue with the housing/cylinder having slop between them though.

If you do have to replace the cylinder, you can re-key the new cylinder to match your existing keys so that you don't have to re-key the door and tailgate etc. Depending on the vendor, sometimes the cylinders will come with assorted tumblers to key it yourself, others will come pre-keyed with a new key. In the latter situation you would want to take it to a lock smith with your key to have them re-key it. This is usually done for just a few dollars if you carry in the key and cylinder.

The hazard button should be located on a rocker button on the right hand side of the instrument cluster with a red triangle on it. It will be the next to the bottom button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i think the clicking noise may have been the door chime as it is working today.i checked at the fuel pump shutoff. i have continuous 12v on the red wire. i have 12v for a few seconds when the key is turned onand then it drops out on the black wire with the white stripe. the solid black has no voltage. the shutoff switch is closed between the black and black/white wires. the is no resistance on the terminal for the red to the other two. i dont hear the fuel pump. does this sound like it is bad? and what does the door chime relay/ module look like.

? could you give me a link to the fuel wiring diagram?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.

I truly apologize for the delay, I received no notification of your reply and only happened upon it by accident luckily.

Solid black on the shutoff switch is your ground so you shouldn't see any voltage there.
The black/white wire will see voltage momentarily at key on as the pump primes, then it will go away until you crank the engine.
The red wire should not have any continuity to the other two wires, do not try any other tests on it. This wire is as an output from the SRS system. At rest, the wire should have no continuity to either of the other wires.

So far it sounds like the fuel switch is OK, but here is the diagram:
graphic

I am not sure where they hid the actual chime as it is external on this model to the relay box. The chime relay box however (timer/door lock module) is located in the center of the dash near the floor. It is a plain black box, about 3" square.
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the reply. so the red wire should have voltage at all times and do you think it is the fuel pump?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.

The red wire is part of the SRS (air bag, seat belts) portion of the system and is not relevant to us. As long as you have continuity between the black wire and the black/white wire, the switch is working fine. If you do not, push the button to make sure it isn't tripped and check again. If you can not get continuity there then the switch would be at fault.

I would still be most concerned with how the key is malfunctioning in the ignition as it is terribly suspicious.

Beyond that the best thing to do with regard to whether it is the pump or not is see if you have voltage on the black/white wire on the fuel cut switch when you first turn the key on or cranking. If you see voltage, this is passing through the fuel pump meaning at the least the motor coil is intact (it may overheat, but you know it is intact). If there is never voltage we would want to pull the pump and see if you have voltage going to the pump at key on, etc. If you do not, then you would move back to the fuel pump relay and see if it is engaging and so forth.
It is easiest to start like that at the part that you think isn't working (the pump) and if confirmed, just work your way backward (using that diagram) until you see power. That will tell you where the power is dropping and where you need to look.
In the even that the relay is not energizing at all, and all fuses are good, then we would be looking into the PCM and would want to do a scan tool analysis to see what is going on, as ultimately it is what turns the pump relay on, making the rest of the system work.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i checked the villager today. i pulled the fuel pump relay and had 12v across the relay coil terminals for a few seconds. i have 12v when the key is on to one of the contact terminals. i jumpered across the 2 contact terminals but still did not hear the fuel pump. does 12v at the relay coil mean the pcm is working and would you think it to be the fuel pump?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.

I saw your other post and though we should continue here.

If you had 12V temporarily at the pump relay (lower right corner of the relay on the diagram) then your system is attempting to prime the pump.
At this point it sounds like the PCM is fine and the fuel pump is an issue here.

From here you will want to pull that fuel pump and connect your meter between the two pump power wires (the heavier gauge wires on the pump, should be colored Light Green/Red and Black/White). Turn the key on and see if you have momentary voltage or even voltage cranking. If you do, but when plugged in the pump does nothing, then the pump is at fault.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician