Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium: I have a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara.

I have a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara. I hear a thumping sound when you make kinda
a sharp turn when going slow. I hear it also when backing up also. I also hear it at times when applying the brake petal. When driving normal and going straight there
isn't any problem. I never had any trouble with this vehicle before.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name isXXXXX will
do my very best to assist you with your question today.

Is the noise coming from the front or rear?

Also coming from the left or right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The noise is in the rear. It sounds like the passenger side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The vehicle is AWD.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Ok,the issue that you are describing is one of two issues.The first being a wheel bearing that is starting to go bad,the wheel bearing will only make the noise all the time once the bearing has completely failed.The second is the side carrier bearing in the rear differential is worn and starting to make noise.What i would suggest is to raise the rear of the vehicle and check the wheel bearings by spinning the wheels by hand with one hand on the shock or strut,if a vibration is felt in the shock or strut the bearing on that side is bad.If no noise is found in the rear wheel bearings the rear diff needs to be checked with the vehicle in the air and in gear with a automotive stethoscope.
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You don't think it could be the transfer case. It was low on fluid and

showed signs of the front leaking. I put in oil and cleaned under

with a degreaser. I checked a week later and no more signs of

leaking.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Its possible since the transfer case was low on fluid,however the noise would not really be in the rear passenger side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put a lot of oil in the transfer case. Would the vehicle go at all

if the transfer case was bad?

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle would really strugle to move and most likely the noise would be constant no matter what as long as the vehicle was moving the noise would be present at all speeds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible that one of the back wheels is kinda locking when making a turn?

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Not likely,but if they are this is going to be from the carrier bearing that i mentioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help. I appreiciate it.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No problem thank you.