Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

Customer Question

2005 Suzuki Forenza: starts right can drive it...but when you get to where your going and shut it wont start just cranks and cranks...but no starting....If you leave it alone for a little while it will start up again. Fuel pump tested ok....what else could it be??
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, just so I know that it was checked properly, was fuel pressure tested when it would not start, or was it tested when it was starting fine?

What was the fuel pressure with key on engine off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

umm ya know I don't really know because my brother has my car and checked it and he called me today and said that fuel pump was fine

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, if he is checking the pressure when the engine starts up, it is an invalid test. this is because the fuel pump can overheat while driving and then when you shut it off, it wont re-start until fuel pump cools down. Once it cools down and allows engine to start, the fuel pressure will test normal.

The other reason for this happening is the ignition coil overheating and shutting down until it cools off.

there is a pretty easy test your brother can do to see which is the issue. Have him take a can of starting fluid on test drive of car. Shut it off and when it wont restart immediately, spray some starting fluid into the throttle body and try to start it. If it starts and runs for a few seconds, then it is getting spark but no fuel. Replace the fuel pump.

If no difference, then no spark - replace the coil

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you