K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Tires, We have a fleet of trucks which a lot are 1 tons with

Tires, We have a fleet of trucks which a lot are 1 tons with duallys on the back. My boss likes to run drive tires all around. I'm trying to convince him to run steer tires on the front axle instead of drive tires.
What is you opinion on this? What is the downside of using drive tires all around?

Also I had to do a major front end job on a 1 ton chev with king pins. Once the job was done I notice that the tires are almost oval visually on the balancer. Need 5 to 7 ounces on each side to balance. When I drive the truck I can feel the up and down feel of the oval tires. I'm convinced this will lead to premature wear on the front end.
What is your opinion on this?
As long as they are virgin tires there's really no issue with running drives on the steer axle. The biggest thing is to make sure they are rotated at regular intervals. I worked for a trucking fleet for and we actually managed to get more life out of the tires this way.

As far as the oval tires go I would agree that this will cause premature wear on the front end.