Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

engine: 3.4 OHV 1995 Camaro (being installed in Fiero, with

Customer Question

engine: 3.4 OHV 1995 Camaro (being installed in Fiero, with Fiero induction and ignition).It will not start. No compression. Engine only cold turned over since cam installed and engine placed in car.I suspect I have installed cam 180 deg out:
(mild cam, Crane Int & Exh lift 423, Dur Int 264, Exh 274)
No compression in cylinders 1,3,5 (did not check 2,4,6)
Removed push rods in #5 and got 140 psi. (did not check 1,3,) but I think I have elimated bent valve cause.The Haynes Manual states "dot to dot" crankshaft to camshaft sprocket alignment, and states do not tun over motor during process (I did !!), nor does it say how to align if a new crank is installed.I am perplexed becase the crankshaft to camshaft ratio is 2:1 which means that the "dot" are 12 oclock and 6 oclock on every 2nd 360 deg turn of the crank, which suggests I have 50% chance of getting it right. I don't think it is it merely a matter of reversing spart plug leads.
Category: Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Pearl. Lets start by confirming the timing marks. The dot on the crank gear should be at 12 o clock and the cam should be at 6. I will post the factory diagram below.