Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2002 isuzu trooper 4l30e trans stays in first gear,will not

Customer Question

2002 isuzu trooper 4l30e trans stays in first gear,will not shift, shift solenoids are new, range sensor clean and set properly, atf and level is correct. no codes desplaying, check engine, trans light etc. lights do work however when igniction is turn on and shots off after engine starts.

Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

the speedometer works good?

so reverse is fine ?

and when driving it just stays in 1st no upshift at all ?

no codes in the computer ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the speedometer and reverse works fine, stays in first no upshift. There is a computer code I forgot to mention, ABS light comes on and I believe that the break system shares the VSS on the trans for break operations but I not sure, I have no manuals for this vehicle. I suspect that the VSS may be the problem but I dont know how to test it short of taking the vehicle to the dealers. Dealers around here where I live are very costly. I dont know if you know, I live on an island in the Western Pacific. Every thing out here is expensive, so any help you can give me would be greatly appriciated.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

if your speedometer is working more than likely the PCM is getting a VSS speed signal

we need to know the code numbers in the computer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I took so long, could not fine someone with a scan tool, so I ordered one. I hope I can get back with you at a later date once i get the code. thanks for your help.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
no problem let me know