Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Olds Silhouette: Hi...I would like to get another opinion besides

Hi...I would like to get another opinion besides my mechanic...oil warning light on this morning and no oil on the stick. Checked radiator overflow and was full of brown oily fluid. Could a head gasket leak oil into the cooling system? I thought it would always leak the coolant into the oil if it was the head gasket going. Any input on this would be greart. Thanks.

there are actually 3 possible causes - blown headgasket, cracked head or cracked block.

It depends on where the headgasket lets go as to whether you get coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

Most of the time when there is oil in the cooling system it is either a blown headgasket or cracked head.

Unfortunately there is no test to determine which is the cause with the engine still intact. The cylinder heads have to come off and physically check the head gasket and have the heads pressure tested at a machine shop and block tested to determine which is the cause

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Eric,

Better news. After they looked at it some more it turns out it is a oil cooler that is leaking into the coolant so that is much better than a head gasket that it was this morning.

that is good news. The Silhouette didnt come with an engine oil cooler out of the factory, which is why I didnt mention it. Yours must have had a tow package added at the dealer or aftermarket, which includes the oil cooler.

glad it is some good news for you.

have a great upcomiing weekend!