Trev
Trev, Technician
Experience:  NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician
15853224

Saab 9-3 2.0T: 2003 Saab 9-3 Intermittent problem. No crank.

2003 Saab 9-3 Intermittent problem. No crank. ISM replaced. CIM replaced. Car will operate fine then no crank condition occurs. When this happens, the alarm indicator on top of dask will blink (alarm active) and the strange condition of a blank SID. Steering wheel is not locked. However, unable to shift auto transmission out of "Park".
Category: Car
Expert:  Trev replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Welcome to just answer

It is likely there is a fault with either the key or the transponder in the car that picks up the signal from the key.

Try replacing the battery in the key first, also if you have a spare key, try this and see if the problem still occurs, if not then it is the other key, if it does it is likely to be the transponder that picks up the key signal, this is built into the ignition switch in the centre console (the part that you put the key in to start the engine).

If this need replacing, then you will need to get it done at a suitable garage, as you will likely need to reprogram the keys to the car, which you will need the software to do this, and 4 digit security code that was supplied with the car when it was new.

If you don't have the code, your local gm or Saab dealer should be able to supply this at a nominal charge once you have provided them with proof of ownership.

Hope this helps, if you need more assistance, p,ease let me know.

Regards

Trev
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Trey,

As stated before, the CIM and ISM were both replaced...along with a new FOB programmed. The vehicle started several times post replacement. However, less than a week it is right bak to the same. To me...it seems like something downstream since the SID works fine except when this intermittent pain occurs. A couple questions...are there relays triggered from the CIM/Transponder activation that would affect power to SID? Could the alam module be misfunctioning and cause this?

Expert:  Trev replied 1 year ago.
There are relays that are triggered by the CIM throughout the alarm immobiliser system, but these won't cause the immobiliser to malfunction as they are triggers by the immobiliser to activate engine systems, if the immobiliser is not deactivating, the problem is likely to be the immobiliser itself or wiring to and from the immobiliser.

Your car has a CAN bus system which acts as its communication system, so there may be a problem with the CAN wiring, or a module itself.

Detailed wire continuity testing needs to be do to determine that the wiring itself is not faulty, and then testing of the modules obviously you have had some of them replaced already and this has not cured it, so a wiring fault is most likely, by wiring fault I mean it could be either a broken wire, corroded wire or a bad joint in a connector or plug.

The best advice I can offer is to book the car into an independent auto electrical specialist, this will be cheaper than a main dealer, and they will concentrate one the electrical wiring system rather than just replacing components and hoping it cures the problem.

Trev
Trev, Technician
Experience: NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician