Jack
Jack, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an automotive technician for over 15 years and have worked on most makes and models.
72783663

Maserati Quattroporte: I have a 2007 Maserati with 30,000 miles

I have a 2007 Maserati with 30,000 miles impeccably maintained. The black plastic of the interior has become soft and sticky without anything happening to it. My dealer tells me "it happens" and that it will cost more than $4,000 to replace the parts. He suggests I carefully try gasoline to remove the gooey surface. Are you faniliar with this happening and is there anything I can use to repair it?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your interior. I have ran across this in the past VW uses a coating on the interior parts also and this has the same problems it is like a rubber coating on top of the plastic or metal panels. Where are the bad spots located in the interior?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

could you tell me what parts of the interior are affected?

Customer: It is mainly limited to the plastic pieces on the dashboard, especially the piece surrounding the switches to the left of the steering wheel, but to a less extent around the radio and navigation controls. The leather and wood on the dashboard are fine.
Mr.PUTTPUTT :

well, I dont think I would use gas and that is very dangerous to use as you might expect. Could you tell me if you had been treating the areas with a cleaner or any other topical protector like armor all or any product like that?

Customer: That's the confusion of it. We didn't do a thing to it. In fact, we were away for about 3 months and noticed it on the left switches when we came back. We also thought that something may have gotten on it, but then noticed similar changes starting on the other dashboard plastics.
Mr.PUTTPUTT :

would you be able to take a fairly up close picture of the affected area so I could see it?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I will be returning at about 8:30 am and will be one until 4:30 pm central then will return at 6:00 pm until 11:00 pm all times central

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I hope the time works for you

Customer: It works. Thanks.
Mr.PUTTPUTT :

would you be able to get a picture of this and post it on here

Customer: Tried to get a picture today, but it wasn't good because the sun wasn't great in the morning. The day then got swallowed as Monday's can. Will try again tomorrow and send it to you if I can.
Mr.PUTTPUTT :

no problem