Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

Oldmobile Alero: My mom drives an Olds Alero, 2001. She just

Customer Question

My mom drives an Olds Alero, 2001. She just told me that my brother-in-law ran over a large rock, scraping the bottom of the undercarriage. She told me that it was stuck on the rock at the rear axle before it was jacked -up to get the rock moved. She said thhat it sounded OK when she drove it home but today it didn't want to crank up. She also told me that when it did crank up, it makes loud rattlliing noises as if it's falling apart. She got one of my brothers to jack the Alero up to look at the undercarriage & she said that the undercarriage looks as if a rasp file had scraped the undercarriage. Do you have an idea what the problem could be & how much the repairs will cost? Thanks for you time.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
so with the engine just at idle it makes these kind of noises ? where is this noise coming from ?the front of the car? engine area? rear of the car ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She says that the noise is coming from the engine area.. She hasn't tried to move the car.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok and its just at idle? Is it coming from the oil pan or lower on the engine? Is the oil full in the engine ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The engine is at idle, the oil is showing full, there are no fluid leaks & she says that the noise is coming from the lower engine.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

ok make sure they do not run that engine any more

if it sounds like the lower engine shut it off

make sure no rocks or anything got stuck in the starter/flexplate area

if that looks good see if the oil pan has any damage to it at all

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure about the oil pan as I'm not there but as I said mom claimed that there were no fluid leaks. I'll call her & give her your reply but she has already planned to have her car towed to her dealer. Thanks a lot!

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

do not drive it and have it towed

but it would have to be engine/transmission making this noise if its just at idle