Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

while driving then stopped in traffic my car will start to

Customer Question

while driving then stopped in traffic my car will start to kick back if i do not put it in park it will die. If it dies then i turn it back on and it will run like nothing happen. what can be the problem? dealership has had my car for a month they can not figure out what is going on. they have driven the car and it hasnt acted up on them.
Submitted: 3 years ago via
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.

Eclayton4 :

Hello, My name is Eddie and I will help with your question. Let me first ask, what is the make and model of your vehicle? and approximate mileage? thanks.

JACUSTOMER-mvvlem6w- :

2010 ford escape xlt with 50,000 miles

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
Ok Liza, I have had to switch to Question and Answer forum, as live chat does not seem to be performing well today. Let me ask, is the check engine light on now when you are driving the vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

check engine never comes on. when the car dies in traffic the only lights are the battery and the oil light.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the check engine light never comes on.. when the car dies its only the battery and the oil light that comes on

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
OK, Most likely it hasn't set a code then if you haven't seen the light, Can you tell me if the dealership replaced anything so far? or did they just drive it and say they couldn't duplicate it? Also, do you know which engine is in the vehicle? is it 2.5L? thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they have changed out the motor mounts. yes they have drived it around and can not duplicate the issue.. i think it is a 2.5L.

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
Ok, There are a couple of TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) out on your model Escape, that I would assume the dealership technician would have checked. but I can't be positive. Let me ask, do you notice this problem more after refueling? or does that make any difference?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it doesnt make a difference. they tried to tell it it was because of old gas. i let go to 1/4 of a tank then filled back up.. it happens when i drived for about 20 miles then come to traffic the stop and go is when the car starts acting up.

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
OK, If refueling makes no difference, then the TSB does not apply, Give me just a couple minutes and let me research this please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
OK, If you have not seen any check engine light, then this problem in my opinion will be difficult to pinpoint, as you really would have to have diagnostic equipment ON the vehicle AT THE TIME of it malfunctioning, and that is very difficult. If this car was brought to me, I would install a fuel pressure gauge, and drive it, Fuel pressure is one thing that could cause your symptoms, but NOT set off the check engine light. So, I would suspect that could be the cause.

It would be wise in my opinion, for a technician to install a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and drive the vehicle under the conditions you specify when the fault occurs. At that time, he can see the fuel pressure on the gauge, and that is a way to narrow the problem down, If fuel pressure stays at 50 psi when the fault occurs, then fuel pressure isn't the issue, however, if it drops down below 35 psi and you get your engine trouble at that time, then I would suspect a failing fuel pump.

Also, I cannot rule out a wiring harness issue, or a cam or crank sensor. As these components when they fail, will cut the engine off dead in it's tracks. It would be my opinion however, that they should set a code if they are intermittantly not working.
But anything is possible, So next time your drive by an Advance auto or Autozone, or Oreilly auto, you may want to stop and ask someone to scan your engine codes, just to see if anything is stored. If so, that may point in the right direction of the failure.

Also, It may be a good idea, to call the general manager of the dealership, and express your concern over having the vehicle in the dealership, and them not being able to fix it. If the general manager gets involved, usually concerns get top priority at that point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for the information. i will pass this along to the dealership

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
Absolutely, and feel free to follow up with me with anymore questions. thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
Hello, just follow up, Did you get the issue with the Escape resolved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I did. It was the purge valve.
Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
Interesting, Usually that component sets a check engine light, and then set a code which would be fairly easy to diagnose. I'm glad it's resolved!