CurtisE
CurtisE, Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG, Airconditioning & Vehicle Diagnostics

land rover discovery: any land rover tec. that can halp me

Customer Question

any land rover tec. that can halp me with overheating problems
Category: Car
Expert:  caughlins replied 1 year ago.

caughlins :

How are you manually opening the thermostat? When filling the system with coolant did you get all the air out? Colin

Customer :

all the air is out definaty. half of the radiator stays coold on thermostat side, i opend the thermostat manualy and i have no problems.

caughlins :

Have you tried a different thermostat or putting the one in water and heat it up until it opens and see what temperature it is opening at. I suspect you have a bad thermostat. Colin

Customer :

i replaced 3 thermostat, the lest one is from the dealer.

caughlins :

And what about the water pump? can you tell if the coolant is flowing through the radiator with the thermostat held open?

Customer :

yes, i puld the thermostat and plugh the lower hose with my hand start the engine and create pressure

caughlins :

Is there any coolant in the oil? Were you able to determine what caused the gasket failure in the first place? Colin

Customer : No coolent in the oil. The seal ring around the piston it was burned out and compression was escaping in the cooling system on the cylinder number four. Leak down test on that cylinder number four was showing air bubbles in the cooling system. After the repair everything is fine, No more air bubbles.
caughlins :

When you say it is overheating, do you mean it is boiling over or the temperature gauge climbs into the red? If the later have you checked the actual temperature of the coolant? Sorry to be going back to the beginning but I feel I missed something. These engines do have a tendency to crack the block. Colin

Customer : I ran this engine without the thermostat for about a week, no overheating. The water boils in the reservoir, Thermostat doesn't open And half of the radiator is cold.
Expert:  CurtisE replied 1 year ago.
There is an airlock. Remove one heater host at heater core and pull garden hose in and fill with pressure from the heater core hose. Then quickly refit the hose and retest.