Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

I have a 2008 cadillac 6 door funeral limo. I found a hole

I have a 2008 cadillac 6 door funeral limo. I found a hole in each muffler where the tail pipe goes into the muffler. The hole was about the size of a small finishing nail. i patched them both. I noticed them as we were idiling for a funeral and say the condensation dripping underthe muffler.Are the holes supposed to be there?

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you by discussing your request in detail; thanks

Toyota Service :

Please describe where the small holes are. Are they under where the tailpipe fits into the muffler outlet? Thanks

Customer:

yes they both were in the same location

Toyota Service :

Thanks

Toyota Service :

Yes, these holes are supposed to be there. They are designed to allow the muffler to dispense any moisture that is inside it. A by product of what the catalytic converters do is water vapor.

Toyota Service :

This moisture condensates out into liquid at the ends of the mufflers

Toyota Service :

the holes allow it to drain. This helps reduce internal rusting

Customer:

I patched them both with permatex. will it harm the vehicle if i leave it on?

Toyota Service :

No, you will not "harm" the vehicle, however, you will run the risk of the mufflers rusting out internally. I would recommend that you reopen the holes. A funeral coach does not get a lot of activity at times, the moisture staying trapped will contribute to premature internal rust

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for your help. I'll get on it right now.

Toyota Service :

If you have ever noticed water coming out of the tailpipe in the car in front of you in cool weather, this is the same condensation

Toyota Service :

You are very welcome. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you

Toyota Service :

A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Customer:

ok. but most of the time my car had wated coming out at the tail pipe. Thanks again. I'll go do it right now.