Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Peugeot 206: Hi i have a Peugeot 206, recently when driving

Hi i have a Peugeot 206, recently when driving the steering feels really loose. Driving at moderately high speeds, if i suddenly turn the steering to overtake another car, my car wobbles and it's very easy to loose control. Also any slight unevenness in of the road i can really feel it especially on the right side, the steering usually shifts, so i have to hold the steering firmly to keep control. When making sharp turns as to parallel park, i hear and feel a knock at a certain point in the steering wheel.

My cousin suspects that i may need to change the shocks on the left side, because that is where it is most felt he indicated but will that also explain the play in the steering.

Hi Denort,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

From what you have described here this sounds like you have some excess play in one of the steering components,this could be a tie rod that is loose and needs replaced to a fault with one of the steering arms or steering gear itself.It may be shock related as weak suspension can cause the vehicle to feel unstable as well but usually with play like this in the steering this can indicate a fault in one of the steering components itself.

I would have all of the steering components checked into to see if one or more components are found at fault,then if one is found at fault it will need replaced.Depending on what is replaced the vehicle may need an alignment after words as well.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks Pete,

I will have this checked out. but if one of the front shock is bad then would it cause the car to be unstable as well?? if so then what type of shock absorber does the Peugeot use? Because i heard that it can be either gas or oil

Yes,if one or more of the shocks are severely worn or at fault here it can cause this instability here but this sounds more like a steering issue.Unfortunately my info on this vehicle doesn't show what type of shocks is used.I would contact a dealer with your vehicles VIN number to see if they can tell you what type of shocks are in your vehicle to be sure.

Thanks Pete
Hi Denort,

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete