Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

03 f250 5.4 there is a solenoid on passenger fender under

03 f250 5.4

there is a solenoid on passenger fender under Hood for the four wheel drive. four wheel drive works fine fine until that solenoid clicks and the vacuum quits at and four wheel drive stops working instantly. it is leaking air out of front hub but when that solenoid works the four wheel drive works. is that solenoid supposed to only give vacuum for about 20 sec or should it give vacuum at all time
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX should have vacuum at all times when theXXXXXis engaged, have you checked the power at that solenoid when it shuts off and seen if its losing power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the solenoid is the part on the fender I checked it and it is loosing power as soon as it clicks off. I don't know much about four wheel drives but I changed to relays the give power to that piece on the fender and still no go
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
is this a superduty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, the superduties are different, they use a timed vacuum for the hubs, higher pressure for the engage, and lower for the disengage, so it will shut off the solenoid after a few seconds, and if you have a leaking hub, the vacuum will be lost and the hubs will disengage, so you must repair the hub that is leaking, it must hold vacuum on the super duties,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I was afraid of that LOL. thanks for all your help
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
yes we see this alot with the vacuum hubs, they both must seal, usually its just the orings in the hub that are bad, Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL