Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

isuzu rodeo: What can be preventing the ignition coil from

Customer Question

What can be preventing the ignition coil from firing on a 1996 Isuzu rodeo 3.2
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hello Garth,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

If this is only one coil at fault not firing off the spark plug this can be caused sometimes by a faulty ignition control module or possibly the wiring from the ignition control module or fuse box leading to the affected ignition coil.I would have the fault codes read out/checked with a scan tool that can communicate with this vehicles engine computer to see if any codes have set.If any codes have set this will aid in some cases in the diagnosis to locate the repair.If you have a test light or multi meter let me know and we can try and test the signals for the coil to see where the fault is located.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a test light, and none of the coils are firing.

Over to you

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,locate at one of the coils the black wire with orange stripe and see if there is battery voltage/power at this wire with the key on and your test lights opposite end connected to a good ground point.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes there's power at this wire

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,test the black wire at one of the coils for a good ground.If you have a good ground here and none of the coils are firing this may be a fault with either the crankshaft position sensor as this can be most common to cause no spark on all coils or an electrical fault with the ignition control module.It would be a good idea to have the fault codes checked in the engine computer as well to see if any codes have set as sometimes this can aid in locating the component at fault.There may be a code set for the crank sensor at fault.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm still working on the problem, and I may need some more help that is why I didn't leave a rating as yet.

Is there a time limit with our session?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
No time limit,you can come back and post here if you need more assistance.Let me know,thanks Pete.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Garth,

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

ok I changed the crankshaft sensor and still no spark.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,with the crank position sensor being replaced now and not having any spark on any cylinders at all and the wiring for power and ground test o.k. this sounds like a failed ignition control module.I apologize Garth as usually the crank sensor is most common but in some cases it can be difficult to determine which of the two (crank sensor or ignition module) are at fault.I suspect your ignition module has failed here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I forgot to mention that also changed the ignition

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Was this the ignition module that was replaced or the ignition switch?

Were all fuses checked to make sure they were all o.k.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the module

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.Have you had fault codes checked at all in this vehicle?

Is the 15 amp fuse labeled Engine Device good?

Do you have power at terminal 2 which is a black wire with yellow stripe at the ignition module and ground at terminal 1 which is a black wire?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My scanner only reads trouble codes not fault codes.

The 15 amp fuse is good. There's power at terminal 2, and there

is ground at terminal 1.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k. unfortunately I a, at a loss here with why no spark is present.I will have to opt out and see if anyone else can assist more,if they can they should respond when they can.Don't reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep the question locked to me.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Garth, I was reading through your question and I suspect that your problem is with the powertrain control module (PCM). If you have power and ground to the module and if you have already replaced the crank sensor and the ignition module I suspect that the PCM is not triggering the module. I'm assuming that the crank sensor is providing a good signal to the PCM and the rest of the vehicle wiring is intact. I'm also assuming that the engine compression is good on all cylinders and the timing belt is intact and cam timing is correct. If everything checks out I'd locate a used PCM in a salvage yard for testing. You can go to Car-Part.com and most likely locate a used PCM. Do a search for "computer / engine". Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you tell me where the PCM is located on the rodeo?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the PCM is located behind the center console just ahead of the shifter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, I'll contact you again if I have any further questions.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
You're quite welcome.