Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

Land Rover Freelander: Hi Auto Expert! How extensive a job

Hi Auto Expert! How extensive a job is radiator replacement. I have a mechanic that works on the majority of my auto issues. However, he recently showed me a break in one of my radiator hoses. Does this require an entire radiator replacement? If so, is this an extremely detailed job?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! My name isXXXXX and I am here to try and assist you with your question.

When you say there is a break in the radiator hoses, is it one of the hoses in the image below show as #3 or #2?
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

#1 is the diagram that I recall my mechanic mentioning and recommending that I buy.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK. #1 is the Radiator, but above you state the break is in the radiator hose. If only the hose (#2 or #3) is damaged, there is no need to replace the radiator. The hoses are available and replaceable separately from the radiator.

The upper hose (#2) sells for around $108 (part number: PCH000232) and the labor time guide calls for .7hr to complete the job. The lower hose (#3) sells for around $93 (part number: PCH000961) and the labor time guide calls for 1.4 hours to complete the job.

If the radiator itself (#1) needs to be replaced, this is a bit of an in-depth job. The labor time guide calls for 3.5 hours to complete the job, and a new radiator will sell for around $478.

I'd make sure that the problem is definitely in the radiator and not just in one of the hoses before condemning the radiator. No need to spend all that time and money on a radiator, when only a hose can be replaced!

*** PLEASE REMEMBER TO LEAVE A RATING FOR MY ANSWER! RATING THE ANSWER IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE Q&A PROCESS! ***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What vendor are these part numbers for?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
These are Land Rover part numbers. Most local parts stores can "interchange" these part numbers into the correct version of the after market brand they carry. These hoses are radiator should be available at most part stores, like NAPA, just by ordering them by name anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After viewing the diagrams of the hoses, I am not seeing the part in question. I was told that the piece was part of the radiator itself and not an attached hose. Is this possible? If so, is replacing the radiator an extremely challenging job?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
The radiator is a stand-alone item. There are no "hoses" that are attached to it that cannot be removed and serviced separately. If the radiator does need to be replaced, yes, this is an above average job on the challenge scale. The labor time guide calls for 3.5 hours to complete the job.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a personal mechanic who has worked on most of my issues post warranty. While his work thus far has been sufficient, I wonder about a job like a radiator replacement.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
If he is an experienced Mechanic, he shouldn't have a problem. It's not much different from any other vehicle, just a little more time consuming, as more things need to be removed to access the radiator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great. What is the worst case scenario?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
I would imagine worst case would be the radiator needing replacement. The labor time guide calls for 3.5 hours to complete the job, and a new radiator will sell for around $478. Expect to pay for a full 4 hours labor here, as most shops round up to the nearest hour to accommodate for any unforeseen problems that may arise. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I meant the worst case scenario regarding something going wrong mechanically. Could my engine be damaged, or anything else?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. If the vehicle is leaking coolant, and if the system empties of coolant, and the engine is allowed to over-heat, this will cause severe internal engine damaged resulting in a much higher repair bill, or worst case scenario, unrepairable and needing a new engine. This should be addressed as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean, if I see those scenarios after the radiator replacement? Would monitoring the temperature gauge be enough to ensure it is not running hot and ensure avoiding an overheated engine?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
No, if the radiator is NOT replaced, that is worst case scenario. You can monitor the gauge, however, depending how badly the radiator is leaking coolant, by the time the gauge gets to the warning point, it may be too late.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think the mechanic placed a plug on one of the hoses on the radiator. (He stated that I need a new radiator as opposed to a new hose.) I am in the process of ordering the radiator (which is why I contacted you for a second opinion). How long can I drive it if I replace the coolant on a daily basis until the radiator arrives?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
As long as the coolant level stays full, and the gauge does not read too hot, you can drive it. I wouldn't suggest too far or too long though. And definitely keep your eye on that gauge. If it gets too hot, pull over, allow it to cool, and then refill the coolant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much. Well, I think that's it for now. Thanks for your patience and expertise. High marks from me.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! Glad I was of some help! Have a great day!

Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.