Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Im having trouble getting my truck (1992 B2200 Mazda) to crank.

I'm having trouble getting my truck (1992 B2200 Mazda) to crank. It is getting fire and gas to the carb but the spark plugs are dry. When it does crank I was holding the gas pedal to the floor and it sputters and spits before it picks up. It does not start now. Why won't the truck start?

Hi Donald,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

In some cases if you do not have enough fuel pressure this can cause this issue here as allot of vehicles have to have the minimum amount of fuel pressure before the injectors will operate properly and allow the vehicle to start.The fuel pressure should be tested and the pressure according to my info if your vehicle has the 2.6 liter engine should be between 38 and 46 psi with the key on and engine off.This is tested in line near the fuel filter with an adapter and a fuel pressure test gage.If the pressure is to low then this may be caused by a weak fuel pump in some cases.

This may also be caused by no signal to the fuel injectors themselves to atomize/spray fuel.Here is a test procedure you can follow to see if you can find out for sure if they are getting the correct signal.If you need more assistance testing the injectors or if neither of these were the issue let me know.

1. Disconnect injector harness electrical connector.
2. Check for voltage at the B/Y wire terminal of the harness side connector.
IGNITION "OFF" - 0 volts
IGNITION "ON" - 12 volts (battery voltage)
3. If no voltage is present, check main relay and wiring between main relay and injector harness connector.

Each injector should also have a ground signal/pulse signal from the computer when the engine is cranking over.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pete: Thanks for your response. FYI, the truck has a carb and even if I pour gas down the carb the plugs are still dry. Help!

Was anything done on the engine or intake recently?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, nothing was done on the engine or intake. There is no suction to the pistons. Could this be the catalytic converter?

It is possible the catalytic converter is restricted to the point where no engine exhaust can exit as this may cause the no suction issue here.Low compression on all cylinders can cause this if there is valve damage and this may be related to possibly timing itself at fault.I would check into these things here to see if the fault can be located.This is definitely an odd issue here but this is where I would start.You might try and loosen the exhaust before the catalytic converter to see if it is the exhaust that is plugged.

Thanks Pete
Hi Donald,

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete