Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Mitsubishi Pajero: I have a 2003 Mitsubishi pajero exceed.

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi pajero exceed. Recently we are experiencing a grinding noise, sounds like it is from the front right. it gets quite loud, but when I stop it just make a loud "clunk" noise and then it is gone. It happens intermittently, thought it might be brakes or vacuum pump or tubes problem trying to engage or disengage 4x4 on the transmission, but the lights on dash stays in 2x4. Automatic transmission. Please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pieter,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

I would have a shop or the dealer that looked into this check into any faults with any of the wheel bearings as well as the front axles and 4wd mechanical components.In some cases if it is a gear box on the vehicle the oil may have metal in it and if there is metal usually this is an indication the fault may be internal in the gear box that has the metal and would need removed and disassembled to inspect for the fault and repaired or replaced.

It is difficult to say for sure from here exactly what is causing this for sure but I would have these checked into first.If the dealer cannot reproduce the fault right away they may have to hold onto the vehicle for a day or more to duplicate the fault so then it can be repaired.I have had to do this in some cases just so I could catch the fault to locate it.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I have done a number of checks and have received feedback from other pajero owners as well. I am not totally helpless when it comes to cars, but this is not the normal run of the mill problem. I did one check on the workshop recommendation. When I engaged 4x4 a number of times (4h), and then disengage back to 2h, the noise is immediately there when I start driving, it sounds like trying to engage gears on a manual vehicle without using the clutch. When I then stop, there is a clunk sound ( as if something is engaging) and then the noise is gone....till the next time. As l said, it happens intermittently and difficult to replicate, but I am pretty sure it has something to do with the transmission but I don't know enough about it to fully test, thanks Pieter
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It is possible this is transmission/transfer case or even front differential making this noise here.It sounds more like possibly a front differential engagement issue possibly.Unfortunately my info isn't really clear on how this system operates whether it is vacuum or electric.If it is vacuum controlled then the vacuum system needs checked to see if it is operating properly to engage the front differential.If it is electric it needs checked/tested as well.The best way to find out what is at fault for sure is to allow the shop/dealer hold onto the vehicle and drive it off and on to duplicate the noise,once they have duplicated it then they can test to see what is causing this here.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pieter,

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete