Virtual Technician
Virtual Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)

05subaru outback sport: 05subaru outback, wont crank, wont

05subaru outback, won't crank, wont start, new starter, new neutral safety switch, buzzing coming from transmission pan, HELP PLEASE!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Technician replied 1 year ago.

Virtual Technician :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will try my best to help you with your vehicle issue. What engine do you have? Have you checked fuses? Especially the IGN fuse?

Customer: 2.5 liter, & no I haven't checked fuses yet.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

Alright, well lets start with the fuses and let me know what you find.

In addition - are you positive the buzzing noise is from the trans pan or could it be from the cooling fans in front?

I'll wait for your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked all ignition fuses 1,&2, all good but on the start fuse no feed in even when key is turned! Could it be the PCM? Or maybe a solenoid in the tranny?

Is the model a "limited"?

Automatic or manual trans? (they both have neutral safety switches)

Here's a diagram of the starting circuit.:

graphic

And you say there is NO power on the starter fuse #21 at the fuse center on the left end of the dash?

1. Please check all the fuses in the enclosed diagram to make sure they are good.

2. Is your security light on?

Please let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Rich

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Rich, it's an 05 Subaru outback sport, 2.5, automatic, absolutely no power to start fuse 7.5 amp under dash, even with key turned. Positive sound is coming from pan, now my scan tool told me the 1718,1714,&1708 or 1704 which came up TPS, & CAN communication to transmission. The TPS is not a normal TPS it is THE ULEV TPS. Thank you for your help its greatly appreciated!

Chad,

not sure if those codes are going to matter. (but I'll keep them in mind since we have a power distribution issue)

The fuse gets it's power from the Ignition switch then routes it to the starter relay.

Here's a diagram for power distributution:

graphic

1. Lets check power off the igntion switch first - should only have it in the "start" position.

2. If you have power off the switch then recheck at the fuse - still in the START position - then check for the power at the starter relay

Let me know what you find from these and we'll go from there.

After you have performed the testing above - let me know what you found and if everything is ok - we'll go to this test:

~~~~~~~~~

MY SUMMARY:

No start. No crank. Has battery voltage to the starter relay. The starter relay tested good. No ground for the starter relay.

Tests/Procedures:

1. Backprobe and check for good battery voltage to the security relay on the White/Blue wire with the key in the start position.

2. Ground the starter relay on the Green/Blue wire at the security relay and see if the engine will crank over with the key in the start position.

3. Backprobe and check the voltage on the Black/Blue wire at the security relay to see if the Engine Control Module (ECM) is grounding the Black/Blue wire for the security relay.

4. Backprobe and check the ground for the coil winding of the security relay on the Yellow/Blue wire. The body integrated unit controls the ground for the security relay coil winding. If the body integrated unit grounds the Yellow/Blue wire for the security relay, the relay will energize and open the contact inside the security relay preventing the starter relay from being grounded, causing a no crank.

Tech Tips:

The starter relay is located in the black relay box to the right of the underdash fuse box - under the left (driver) side of the dash. The ground for the starter relay is through the security relay. The security relay is located behind the glove box on a bracket next to one of the climate control actuators.

Experience: 25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)