sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Largo: Hi, just sent you an note before, we have got a 1001

Hi, just sent you an note before, we have got a 1001 Nissan Largo that has got gearbox problems, there is not any movement in gears. Can you help please?
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it's an automatic trans the first thing you'll want to do is make sure the transmission fluid is full or near full. If fluid gets low enough from a leak it will prevent the trans from engaging.

If it's an automatic a plugged transmission filter would be a possibility because it would prevent the pump from drawing fluid and creating line pressure, but usually it would still engage for at least a short period when you first start it.

With the trans in park or in first gear if it's a manual, with the engine off try to push the vehicle and see if it will roll or if you feel a hard mechanical lock. If it will roll then you could have a problem in the differential, but if it won't roll then you know the drivetrain is intact.

If the drivetrain is intact and the fluid is full and filter isn't plugged (automatic) but the vehicle won't move then the problem will be internal in the transmission. It could be a failed pump or torque converter (automatic) or it could be a failed geartrain component, stripped splines or broken shaft. The trans would need to be disassembled for inspection or replaced with another unit.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience