Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Kia Rio: 2004 kia rio skips really bad when cold and will act

Customer Question

2004 kia rio skips really bad when cold and will act like it looses a cylinder at times even when its warm. Computer says cylinder 2 and 3 missfire. Ive changed o2 sensor,coolant sensor,plugs,wires,coil,fuel filter and nothing has changed
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Larry,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

If this occurs in cooler weather it may be one or more of the fuel injectors that may be restricted and causing this here.I would verify you have spark at these cylinders when it is acting up if possible.If spark is present then next I would have the injectors tested or cleaned to see if it corrects this fault here.If you want the test procedure on how to test these injectors let me know.

In some cases you might be able to add injector cleaner to the fuel tank and they may clean up and operate properly.If you go this route I would do this at 1/4 tank or lower and add a bottle of cleaner then drive vehicle to near empty and repeat one to two more times.In some cases this will work to clean any restricted injectors.

I don't think this is a vacuum leak as this would cause all cylinders to misfire usually and low compression wouldn't cause this as well as this would usually affect the misfires to occur all of the time.I would start with making sure you do have spark then have the injectors tested or cleaned.

I hope this has helped in some way here.If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask thats what I am here for.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete. Thanks for your answer. I've tried the fuel injector cleaner as you recommended also. Sorry I didn't mention that. I really feel like this is a fire issue but I'm not sure. I have done everything I know to do. It is definately worse under a load... like when you turn the ac on or when you shift from park to reverse or neutral to drive... Sorry I didn't respond earlier.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I did a little more research on this type of fault here and this may be spark here that is at fault.Check the ignition coil connector for cylinder 2 and 3 and make sure the connector isn't damaged or corroded in any way.Also check the wiring going to this coil as sometimes it can become damaged and cause this type of fault here.Some say the wiring is stretched to tight and can break so I would definitely follow the coil wiring to see if you can locate a fault.The wiring should run from the coil itself to the engine control module.If the wiring is o.k. this may be an internal electrical fault in the engine computer itself causing this misfire.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Larry,

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wires are damaged so I will order new ones and replace them. Thank you for your help. I will rate you now and if that doesn't fix the problem I will let you know. Thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete