C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

Balancer came lose.

Customer Question

I could not mic the crank due to room, but I dont feel any damage on it it. thou it has a little scoring on it.  What is the spec for the hole where the crank slides threw on the Harmonic Balancer? I measured 1.231in.

Category: Car
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 3 years ago.
Do you still have the key inside the slot in the front of the crank?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and no, rebuilt the motor and lost original key. New key fits in but is not as long as the orignal.

With the key in place how difficult is it to slide the balancer on the front of the shaft?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's never been difficult. It was difficult to take off, but it took ine hit with rubber mallet and poped right off. This was on the old crank. The old crank was badly scorged and bent. Installed a new crank.

This is okay, what you need to make sure of is there is no play when you install the balancer on the crank. Tighten the bolt and inspect carefully for any play it should have none. The key is there to keep it snug not allowing it to wobble. But the keys normally not filling the hole until it is tapped down far enough. But as long as you have the key on than slide the balancer on that is the proper way to do the job. Tighten the bolt to 123 ft lbs or 167 NM. Also get some green automotive grade loc tite this will make sure it never comes loose again without you using a torch to get the bolt loose by activating the loc tite to remove.