CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Ferrari Modena: i have a 2003 360 modena. i have not started

Customer Question

i have a 2003 360 modena.
i have not started it in about 3-4 weeks. (winter in ny)
I went to start it today, and it wont start.
the check engine light comes on ok, and all the "electrical" stuff works, but it wont turn over, or even make a clicking noise to try and turn over?
Please help!
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 year ago.

CarDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

CarDoc :

Ok, I'll want to ask you a few questions, so I'll see if you can access live chat

CarDoc :

the first one is if you have actually tested the battery itself yet, using a voltmeter

Customer :

No

CarDoc :

often the accessories will function normally, but if the battery is under about 250 amps, it won't even attempt to turn the starter

Customer :

what is the best way to charge it?

CarDoc :

Also, does it seem like the Immobilizer button on the key fob is working correctly? Meaning you're hearing the normal tones when you try to start it?

Customer :

if you mean the chirps to turn the cars anti theft off, then the answer is yes.

CarDoc :

ok, yep, those noises. And even that system will work normally at a lower voltage level, but wanted to eliminate that as a possibility

CarDoc :

how old is the current battery, and has it been on a tender the whole time the car was sitting?

CarDoc :

the reason I ask this is that most tenders aren't good at bringing dead batteries back to life

Customer :

i bought it used with 8k miles on it.

Customer :

i assume then that the battery is the original, and its an 2003

CarDoc :

at this point, with that information, I'd definitely just replace it. Do you know where it lives?

Customer :

You mean do i know where the battery is located? Yes, its behind the passenger foot well wall.

CarDoc :

yep,, exactly. Not terribly difficult to remove. It's a bit tight down there

CarDoc :

One of the problems though is finding a correctly-sized replacement

CarDoc :

The safe bet is the original glass mat battery

Customer :

there is also a very small instrument light lit red on the tachometer slighlty below and to the left of the brake light. i looked in the manual, and it shows the light, but there is no explanation for what it means?

CarDoc :

let me take a quick look at a picture I have when I last did a gauge face swap for a customer

CarDoc :

one moment

Customer :

i just found it. its the "F-1" transmission failure light?

CarDoc :

that will also happen if the battery is low

Customer :

So the final conclusion is that i should replace the battery with "original glass mat" battery? Is this something i can do myself, or should i spend the money to have ferrari pick it up and bring it in and rake me over the coals?

CarDoc :

If you pull the footwell plate off, you'll find that the battery is just held down with a type of angled bar, held in place by long threaded j-hooks. It's not a bad job to do

Customer :

Would it be worth trying to jump start it with cables from another car? If so, is there anything in particular i need to know, or is it just like jumping an American made car?

CarDoc :

That might be enough to get it to start, but if the battery is quite low, it may not have enough amperage capacity to properly run the car or the gearbox

Customer :

Where is the best place to buy the battery i need? Can you be very specific as to which battery i need, as i am not that familiar with Ferrari / exotic car lingo. Also, if i try jumping it, is there anything i need to know, or is it like jumping a non exotic?

CarDoc :

Jumping is like any other car. The battery you need, either get directly from a dealer, or Ricambi America here

CarDoc :

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=205250

CarDoc :

part number 168852

Customer :

ok.

Customer :

thank you

CarDoc :

glad to help and good luck with it

Customer :

last question. is there anything i should know about replacing the battery, or is it as straight forward as taking the old one out, and popping the new one in?

CarDoc :

Very straight forward. Disconnect negative first, reconnect negative last

CarDoc :

looks like chat is hanging up now

CarDoc :

site glitch

CarDoc :

but if there are any further questions, you'll receive an email link after rating the session

CarDoc :

THanks

Expert:  CarDoc replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.