Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

Hello Does a car battery get charged while the car is running?

Hello

Does a car battery get charged while the car is running?
How long can an automotive battery be kept on the shelf without being charged or used.
Can this battery be trickle charged over an extended period of time to avoid full discharge

Thanks

Val

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Steve :

If you run your engine about 6 hours the battery will get fully charged up. If you have a battery sitting on a shelf I would put a trickle charge on it about 24 hours once a year.

Customer:

Thanks Steve

Steve :

Your welcome

Steve :

Did you see my answer?

Steve :

Customer:

Yes, I did. What is the shelf life of a normal automotive battery as i do not intend using the battery for at least a year; purchased in December 2012

Steve :

The self life is five years.

Steve :

You should be good, just give a trickle charge for 24 hours before putting in in.

Steve :

Hi are you still there?

Customer:

Thanks Steve....do you have any knowledge about BOSCH generators (used in Beetle VW)

Steve :

I work mostly on Fords

Steve :

What is your question?

Customer:

I have a BOSCH Generator GR 15N and trying 12 volt / 30 amps rating. i am trying to find out the wattage of this generator

Steve :

Amp times volts is watts

Steve :

360 watts.

Customer:

Thank you Sir! That will be all for now.

Steve :

Your welcome