Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Isuzu Rodeo: Have not ran codes, need an idea on harmonic balancer.

Have not ran codes, need an idea on harmonic balancer.
i have not seen the crank nor the balancer so i have no clue on their condition. I was told the harmonic balancer spun on crank and the woodruf key is gone. now how could that have happen. motor ran fine other than the ECT. we did lose the original woodruf key and got one a little shorter, but it fit snugly in place.
do you happen to have the specs for the balancer and crank?
what do you think happen?

lastly tech said the cats are shot due to engine running to lean. is that possible in the amount of time it was ran?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

the balancer may have spun because the ceter bolt may have been left loose

tims auto repair :

perhaps from work done to the front of the engine

tims auto repair :

REMOVAL
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

67_sz00rodam_6a32-040a.png
Full Size Image

2. Remove radiator upper fan shroud from radiator.
3. Remove radiator upper fan shroud from radiator.

68_sz00rodam_6a32-041a.png
Full Size Image

4. Move serpentine belt tensioner to loose side using wrench then remove drive belt.
5. Remove cooling fan assembly four fixing nuts, then the cooling fan assembly.
6. Remove crankshaft pulley assembly using J-8614-01 crankshaft holder, hold crankshaft pulley then remove center bolt and pulley.

INSTALLATION
1. Install crankshaft pulley using J-8614-01 crankshaft holder, hold the crankshaft pulley and tighten center bolt to the specified torque.

Torque: 167 Nm (123 ft. lbs.)

2. Install cooling fan assembly and tighten nuts to the specified torque.

Torque: 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.)

3. Move serpentine belt tensioner to loose side using wrench, then install serpentine belt to normal position.
4. Install radiator upper fan shroud.
5. Install air cleaner assembly.

Customer:

thank you for answering the way I was thinking of what happened. Now I need to figure out the damage and how bad. I just hope the pulley is not off center.

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about the cats and specs for the pulley and crank?

tell me about the cats..
how old are they?
why do they think they are bad?
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The mechanic he took it to said engine was running lean and burnt the cats up. The mechanic also did not like that there are two C clamps and heat tape at/on flex point in exhaust system, this is due to corrosion and bolts broke. Lastly, complained about fuel lines being toby close toto exhaust, and we did not relocate them

ok
if the exhaust is in as bad shape as you say...i would think the mechanic is right here,,and the cats and exhaust pipes may in fact need to be replaced,,due to the epa, the exhast must be correct
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I agree exhaust needs work, but i dont understand why the cats would be bad since the seansors are before the damaged part in exhaust and there is no leak.

i uderstand...
but,there is no way for me to test the cats....so,you may need to discuss the exhaust with your mechanic....he is the one that can see them..so,we may just need to take him for his word on the exhaust
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patients

you are very welcome....sorry i couldnt help you much with the exhaust
thanks
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic