Virtual Technician
Virtual Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)
14357943

RA-JPM

Customer Question

I bought a 2006 C65 series truck 8.1 engine, I am trying to use it for work but it starts and runs for about a mile and then it starts losing power, my husband put in a ner gas pump, but it still is the same. we already change plugs. what can it be, he change out some sensors, but you tell me what do you think it needs? Please, I spend my money and now I can not get it to work.

Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Technician replied 1 year ago.

Virtual Technician :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to help you with your vehicle issue. I need to verify the year make and model. Could you please identify or supply the VIN?

Virtual Technician :

Hello - are you there?

Customer :

vin # XXXXX XXXXX

Virtual Technician :

Thank you. Do you have a multimeter, fuel pressure tester, spark tester and scan tool?

Virtual Technician :

According to my vin decoder - this is a 1985 truck with an 8.2 liter motor-- is this correct?

Virtual Technician :

And it's a diesel?

Customer :

No it is a 2006 C 65 series 8.1 diesel

Customer :

I am sorry, but no it is a gas engine

Virtual Technician :

Ok - we'll run with that. SOmething is wrong with the VIN. Do you have a multimeter, fuel pressure tester, spark tester and scan tool?

Customer :

we have a fuel presure tester and it has 60 pounds presure, I do not know about a multimeter, what is it for? and we do have a sparktester, and what is a scan tester, what will we use it for, my put in a canshaft sensor and a cranshaft sensor, and it has a new engine that only has 8000 miles on it

Virtual Technician :

Do you have any odd smells when it is running - something like burnt matches, sulpher or rotten eggs?

Customer :

ok I missed a # XXXXX vin # XXXXX XXXXX

Virtual Technician :

Customer :

yes, we both have the flu, but it does smell like some thing

Customer :

First letter on vin # XXXXX XXXXX 1, sorry

Virtual Technician :

Ok, Let me look something up. While I'm doing that, can you describe the smell?

Customer :

he say to him its like raw gas. like I said we both can not smell very good, but it does smell like something.

Customer :

It's 8:40 and cold right now, but tomorrow we will turn it on and maybe try to see what it smell like.

Customer :

but he still says to him it smells like gas that not burn.

Virtual Technician :

One moment - I'm looking up diagram

Virtual Technician :

You have good fuel pressure and the fuel pressure regulator is in the tank. So we are left with leaking fuel injectors (dropping too much fuel) or a catalytic convertor that is plugged. The simple test is to remove the oxygen sensors BEFORE the catalytic convertor(s) and then run the vehicle to see if the symptoms are gone. While you are underneath - hit the cat with your hand and see if it rattles inside.

Customer :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try it tomorrow It does not work I will get back with you.

Virtual Technician :

I'll wait to hear from you. Have a good night

Customer :

you too.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.