Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

chev suburban: we have a chev suburban 1998 2500 6.5 ltr that

we have a chev suburban 1998 2500 6.5 ltr that applies brakes when you turn the steering wheel either way (left or right)
Category: Car
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 1 year ago.

Yegarboy :

Hi and welcome to JA!

The first things I would check for is theXXXXXis not sticking. Engage and disengage it a few times and see if it stops.
Next check for a binding front Axle. If the Axles are in a bind it will brake while turning.
Then check the brake system for rusty ABS sensors or any other obstructions.

I hope this helps give you an idea on what to look for :)

Yegarboy :

Please reply back with any questions you may have. If this info has helped you Please Rate Excellent service :)

Yegarboy :

Cheers

Customer:

Hi Yegarboy,

Customer:

Hi Yegarboy, Yes I am aware of this but its not the problem .When you turn the steering wheel the brake pedal actualy goes down and you cant move at all. these have hydroalic assisted brakes and was wondering if the same pump does the steering and the brakes. maybe a valve sticking . Thanks

Yegarboy :

Let me lookup the pump details

Yegarboy :

Ok, I will have to Opt out for another Expert as I can not find details for this.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
new expert here did you still need help ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the brake pedal goes down and the brakes lock on when turning the steering wheel if your on hard surface or full lock

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

will stepping on the brake effect the steering ?

im sorry for the 20 questions but I want to be sure to give you the correct answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it doesn't.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok and it will pull down the brake pedal physically and the brakes will be locked up? and you turn the wheel back or stop turning it and the brake pedal will come back up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're on the right track!

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok since the power steering pump powers the steering box and the hydro brake booster we either have a power steering pump valve bad inside the pump or an internal problem with the hydro booster causing this problem

it is very hard to tell the difference on these systems as there is no way to cut the problem in half so to say

now if the pump had an internal issue it usually will effect the steering also

you will have a return hose issue from the hydro booster to the power steering pump if that hose is NOT restricted or kinked at all more than likely the hydro booster is the problem

either 50 or 52 is kinked or restricted or the hydro boostergraphic is the problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your info. Just checked the pipes.. nothing appears to be pinched. The power steering ram is appears to be leaking. Could that be the problem?

Justin

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
what part of the power steering is leaking ? where is it located ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The hydralic ram on the steering is leaking, located on the steering rack. Not sure if our Australian names are XXXXX XXXXX as yours?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
what part in these pictures ?graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's number 7 in the bottom picture.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok that leaking is just a steering dampener and acts like a shock to stop road bumps from traveling up through the steering so you do not feel as much road shock through the steering wheel

if its leaking its bad but worst case will just allow a lot of shock or road bump feels to travel up to the steering wheel and give you a rougher feel in the steering

it has no effect on the problem you have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help and info.. will check it out more thoroughly in the day time and get back to you as soon as possible.

Justin

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime

you can always get me back through this post at any time for any follow up even after you rate us here at Justanswer !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi GM wrench, Have you got a picture of the pump internals?Just thinking there could be a blocked filter or a valve. Thanks Justin

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the power steering pump or the hydrobooster ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

May-be both thanks

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

here you go don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

graphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

Am busy this afternoon with farmwork, and will get onto this as soon as I can.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello. Have pulled apart the hydro booster. can't see anything amiss. wondering about the pressure release valve on the return outlet. it appears alright, but have to try blowing through the return hose in the morning. after seeing how it all works, can understand why you suggested the return pipe.

I can't see that the pump can be a problem, as there's only one pressure outlet and two returns. Is there any chance of it being the steering gear?

Justin

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
yes.pretty rare.usually if its a gear usually a power steering flush with a machine will clean it out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you think about it, I'm going to sleep on it, and see what we come up with! Have a good day.

Thanks,

Justin

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi GMwrench, Put the Hydro booster back together after doing nothing except checking the valves and it seems to be working perfectly. Don't know how long for but we'll see. Don't even know what the problem was, maybe some muck in a valve. Thanks for your help and diagrams. Can we contact you for more info if we have any more chevy hassles after we give you a 6 smile face rating ? Justin

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
yes you can always get me back through this post any time with any follow up
even after you rate us here at Justanswer !
Gary, Technician
Experience: GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years