Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

cylinder misfire x2, map sensor, egr ? Just had oil change, oil filter last week and tri

cylinder misfire x2, map sensor, egr ?
Just had oil change, oil filter last week and tried new gas station this week
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

please explain

Customer:

Hi Tim,

Customer:

I get hesitation on acceleration and feels like somthing plugged up?

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

tell me,,does the engine lght stay on?

tims auto repair :

if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer:

codes are po30, po106, po402

tims auto repair :

p0300?

Customer:

oops po301

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

one second please

tims auto repair :

you have replaced the map sensor?

Customer:

not that i'm aware of

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

has it had a tune up lately?

Customer:

not in a year

tims auto repair :

how many miles is on it?

Customer:

107,000

tims auto repair :

please explain to me the best you can,,,how it runs...does it just have a dead missfire?..please explain

Customer:

when i accelerate it holds back and sort of lurches along feels like something is plugged up ?

tims auto repair :

does it idle well?

Customer:

not really, sounds rough

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

i think you may have a couple of things going on here

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

1-remove and clean the egr valve with carb cleaner...it seems the valve may have carbon on it not letting it close all the way

tims auto repair :

thus,causing a major vacuum leak from the exhaust

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

2-tune it up...new plugs and plug boots..

tims auto repair :

bad plug boots can give a fit...

tims auto repair :

and,,there is no good way to test them

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

the 301 code means you have a missfire on cylender #1

tims auto repair :

Linear Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

85_hn01passp_fe6e2-568a.png
Full Size Image

2. Disconnect the electrical connector at the EGR valve.

86_hn01passp_fe6e2-568b.png
Full Size Image

3. Remove the bolts from the common chamber.
4. Remove the EGR valve from the common chamber manifold.
5. Remove the gasket from the common chamber manifold.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE
1. Install the gasket on the common chamber.
2. Install the EGR valve on the common chamber.

86_hn01passp_fe6e2-568b.png
Full Size Image

3. Secure the EGR valve and the gasket with the bolts.

Torque: 25 N.m (18 lb ft).

NOTE: It is possible to install the EGR valve rotated 180° from the correct position. Make sure that the base of the valve is placed so that it aligns with the mounting flange.

85_hn01passp_fe6e2-568a.png
Full Size Image

4. Connect the electrical connector at the EGR valve.
5. Connect the negative battery cable.

tims auto repair :

P0402

tims auto repair :

DTC P0402 EGR Pintle Crank Error

76_sz02rdall_esm_6e-2010.png
Full Size Image

Wiring Diagram

Circuit Description
The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the EGR valve pintle position input to ensure that the valve responds properly to commands from the PCM, and to detect a fault if pintle position is stuck open. If the PCM detects a pintle position signal indicates more than 21.5% and more than for 625 msec during cranking, the PCM will set DTC P0402.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
- Ignition voltage is between 11 and 16 volts.
- At Engine revolution less than 600 RPM, EGR pintle position indicates more than 21.0% and more than for 625 msecs.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
- The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after the second consecutive trip in which the fault is detected.
- The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC was set as Freeze Frame and in Failure Records data.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
- The PCM will turn the MIL "OFF" on the third consecutive trip cycle during which the diagnostic has been run and the fault condition is no longer present.
- A history DTC P0402 will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a fault.
- DTC P0402 can be cleared by using the Tech 2 "Clear Info" function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed.

Diagnostic Aids
Check for the following conditions:
- Foreign material on EGR valve between pintle and seat may cause EGR stuck open. Inspect foreign material in EGR valve.
- Excessive carbon deposit may cause unsmooth operation of EGR valve shaft. Inspect carbon deposit and clean up inside of carbon deposit.
- Poor connection or damaged harness-inspect the wiring harness for damage If the harness appears to be OK, observe the EGR actual position display on the Tech 2 while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to EGR valve. A change in the display will indicate the location of the fault.

NOTE: If the EGR valve shows signs of excessive heat, check the exhaust system for blockage (possibly a plugged catalytic converter) using the "Restricted Exhaust System Check".

77_sz02rdall_esm_6e-2011.png
Full Size Image

Step 1 - 2

78_sz02rdall_esm_6e-2012.png
Full Size Image

Step 3 - 9

DTC P0402 - EGR Pintle Crank Open Error

Customer:

I will definately try this - thank you!

tims auto repair :

do those two things first..before you address the map code

tims auto repair :

i will give you some test to do on the map sensor,,if this code comes back after the tune up and the egr service

tims auto repair :

DTC P0106 MAP System Performance

53_sz02rdall_esm_6e-1751.png
Full Size Image

Wiring Diagram

Circuit Description
The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor responds to changes in intake manifold pressure (vacuum). The MAP sensor signal voltage to the powertrain control module (PCM) varies from below 2 volts at idle (high vacuum) to above 4 volts at wide-open throttle (low vacuum) at sea level.

The MAP sensor is used to determine: manifold pressure changes while the linear exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow test diagnostic is being run (refer to DTC P0401), engine vacuum level for some other diagnostics, and barometric pressure (BARO). The PCM compares the MAP sensor signal to a calculated MAP based on throttle position and various engine load factor. If the PCM detects a MAP signal that varies excessively above or below the calculated value, DTC P0106 will set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
- No TP sensor DTCs are present.
- Engine speed is steady, changing less then 100 RPM.
- Engine speed is between 1000 rpm and 4000 rpm.
- Throttle position is steady, throttle angle changes less than 1%.
- EGR flow rate is steady, changing less than 4%.
- No change in brake switch, A/C clutch, TCC or power steering pressure switch status.
- Above conditions are met for longer than 1 second.
- Actual MAP value varies more than 10 kPa.
- The MAP value must vary for a total of 10 seconds over a 20-second period of time that the samples were monitored.
- The failure must occur for 2 consecutive trips.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
- The PCM will default to a BARO value of 79.3 kPa.
- The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC was set as Freeze Frame and in the Failure Records data.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
- A history DTC P0106 will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a fault.
- DTC P0106 can be cleared by using the Tech 2 "Clear Info" function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed.

Diagnostic Aids
Check for the following conditions:
- Poor connection at PCM - Inspect harness connectors for backed-out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal-to-wire connection.
- Damaged harness - Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness appears to be OK, observe the MAP display on the Tech 2 while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the sensor. A change in the display will indicate the location of the fault.

If DTC P0106 cannot be duplicated, the information included in the Failure Records data can be useful in determining vehicle mileage since the DTC was last set. If it is determined that the DTC occurs intermittently, performing the DTC P1107 Diagnostic Chart may isolate the cause of the fault.

54_sz02rdall_esm_6e-1753.png
Full Size Image

Step 1 - 5

55_sz02rdall_esm_6e-1754.png
Full Size Image

Step 6 - 10

56_sz02rdall_esm_6e-1755.png
Full Size Image

Step 11 - 14

DTC P0106 MAP System Performance

tims auto repair :

20_sz02rdall_esm_201-050.jpg
Full Size Image

50. Top Rear of Engine (3.2L Engine)

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.