Virtual Technician
Virtual Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)
14357943

LANDROVER DISCOVERY: LANDROVER 2000 DISCOVERY --HOW TO POSITION

Customer Question

LANDROVER 2000 DISCOVERY --HOW TO POSITION THE MOTOR ANF TEETH ON WINDOWS REGULATOR TO INSURE PROPER POSITIONING FOR MAX UP AND DOWN
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

it doesnt matter how you position the motor

tims auto repair :

it will work

tims auto repair :

this isnt what determines how far the lift and lowering of the window

Customer :

motor is not the question position of the teeth reference to motor is question i cant get the position right to have to window reach proper up and down position

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

there is no possitioning

tims auto repair :

it just bolts on

tims auto repair :

the breaker fuses turns it off

Customer :

as it is now either window goes up half way or too far down an will damage the regulator if not stoped

tims auto repair :

you may have something out or adjustment..or the regulator may be bad

tims auto repair :

76.31.45 Regulator And Motor - Front And Rear Door Glass

Remove

1. Remove door trim casing.
2. Carefully release water shedder from door.

24_lr9904disco_76.1-011.jpg
Full Size Image

3. Lower glass and remove 2 bolts securing door glass to regulator.
4. Raise glass and secure with a suitable wedge.
5. Disconnect multiplug from glass lift motor.
6. Front door: Remove 6 bolts securing glass regulator assembly to door.
7. Rear door: Remove 4 bolts securing glass regulator assembly to door.
8. Manoeuvre regulator through access hole at bottom of the door.

25_lr9904disco_76.1-012.jpg
Full Size Image

9. Remove 3 Torx screws securing glass lift motor to regulator and remove motor.

Refit

1. Clean mating faces of regulator and motor.
2. Fit glass lift motor to regulator and tighten 3 Torx screws to 5 Nm (3.7 lbf.ft).
3. Position regulator in door. Fit bolts securing regulator to door and tighten to 6 Nm (4.4 lbf.ft).
4. Connect multiplug to glass lift motor.
5. Remove wedge holding glass and position glass to regulator.
6. Secure glass to regulator with bolts and tighten to 6 Nm (4.4 lbf.ft).
7. Fit water shedder to door.
8. Fit door trim casing.

Customer :

regulator and motor new

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

you may have it too tight

tims auto repair :

let me give you instructions on installing the regulator

tims auto repair :

Remove

1. Remove door trim casing.

24_lr9904disco_76.1-011.jpg
Full Size Image

25_lr9904disco_76.1-012.jpg
Full Size Image

Refit

7. Fit water shedder to door.
8. Fit door trim casing.

Customer :

cant be that only one way to put this in four bolts tighten to snug does not affect sizor mechanism in any way

tims auto repair :

that is right

Customer :

this has to do with the position of the motor cog with reference of the arc of the teeth on the regulator

tims auto repair :

make sure the glass moves easy and isnt sticking in the tracks

tims auto repair :

no

Customer :

no sticking

tims auto repair :

it doesnt matter how it is indexed

tims auto repair :

put it in with the regulator loose,,just install the bolts and leve them loose

tims auto repair :

and see if it will go all the way up

Customer :

it does as when as it is now when you attempt to lower the window it goes down so far that it will bend the sizor on the regulator but will not go up to full top position

tims auto repair :

ok..if you hold the button down...it should trip the breaker and shut off

Customer :

i have attempte to repositon the teeth to motor cog several times wirhout finding the proper arangement

tims auto repair :

again

Customer :

does not trip

tims auto repair :

there is no propper alignment\

Customer :

and does not got to top

tims auto repair :

its not going all the way to the top..because it gets tight and trips the breaker

Customer :

then why does it not trip when going down

tims auto repair :

it is possible that your new motor is bad

tims auto repair :

please stand by

Customer :

have you replacer a regulator on a 2000 landrover ??

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

it is just a r/r

tims auto repair :

please look at the direction i sent

tims auto repair :

there is no timing

Customer :

old motor was not bad --replaced with new as precauton regulator had broken roller so motor is not issue appears to me positioning is issue-

tims auto repair :

it doesnt work that way

Customer :

this is not the answer thanks but no thanks

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

im trying to help you

Expert:  Virtual Technician replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to help you with your vehicle issue.

***

The position of the motor on the regulator arm does not matter.

Once the window reaches full UP or DOWN, it creates a high energy draw that shuts off power to the motor through the Body Control Unit. (BCU)

Here is the Land Rover Service Manual Description for how the window travel works:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The BCU controls all operations for the front windows.

It controls the voltage and the earth paths to the window motors, it controls one-touch down operation and it detects stall conditions.

***Stall detection protects the system from sustained high current draw that occurs when a window reaches the fully up/down position or becomes stuck.

When the BCU detects a stall condition, it disables operation at the stalled window until the window switch is released.

Upon releasing the window switch, the BCU allows normal window operation.

The BCU receives power from fuse 34 (30A) of the passenger compartment fusebox. There is a unique earth signal between each pole of the front window switches and the BCU. This allows the BCU to determine which window motor to operate as well as which direction to operate the motor.

The BCU operates the front window motors directly. There are no relays or switches between the BCU and the window motors.

The BCU disables stall detection on the front windows for a period of 500 ms when an electric window operates to allow for initial current surge to the window motor. ***After this period, if the BCU detects a stall signal (high current draw) for more than 300 ms, it disables the window motor until the window switch is released.

The BCU also contains the ignition switched off timeout information for both the front and the rear windows.

TestBook communicates with the BCU and can determine the status of the front window switches. TestBook can also operate both front windows. TestBook can only determine rear window timeout status. It cannot determine the status of the rear windows, nor can it operate the rear windows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If there you have an issue with how far the window is going up or down, then we need to look further into it.

---------------------

TestBook is a special tool made FOR Land Rover BY Land Rover and is a "dealer tool" only.

________________

Please note: Not every answer I give you is something you were hoping to hear, even though it is true.
Such as; (it's more expensive than you wanted to spend, or you will need to have a professional repair shop do the diagnostics and /or repairs due to complexity reasons).