Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

suzuki xl-7: My car has been giving me cmp codes (p0008). i

My car has been giving me cmp codes (p0008). i replaced the cmp sensors three weeks ago and now have it again. what is the camshaft actuator solenoids and are they part of the sensor chain? Should i have replaced them? I have checked for reference voltage and signal voltage on the sensors i replaced and do have it on both.
Hi,how are you?Since you have replaced the sensors and are still getting the code.The timing is off or the camshaft actuators which are attached to the end of each camshaft inside the valve covers have failed and are out of sync with the crankshaft.The first step is to have the vehicle hooked to a scan tool that can send commands to the actuators.More than likely the left or right bank has failed and causing the issue.
Let me know if you need further assistance,thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info Mike...the car runs great most of the time and i have a hard time accepting that the timing is off. The are two solenoids attached to the head that Alldata shows being listed as "cmp". I am wondering if these can be removed and cleaned or do they need to be accessed with the scan tool you mentioned. Is it worth a try to clean them?

I do not believe the cleaning is going to help you out,if bad the solenoids will have to be replaced in order to fix the issue because they would have electrically failed.The scan tool will help to diagnose the solenoids.