Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

silerado chevy: replace dual wheel hub

Customer Question

replace dual wheel hub
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

do you have rear disc or hub brakes?

Customer:

disc

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

so,,you need to replace the rotor?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

ok..i will give you instructions

tims auto repair :

stand by

tims auto repair :

Removal Procedure
1. Release the park brake.
2. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
4. Remove the hub and rotor assembly.
5. Mark the relationship of the hub to the rotor.
6. Place the hub and rotor assembly on a hydraulic press.
7. Press the wheel studs out of the hub and rotor assembly.

Installation Procedure
1. Align the hub and the rotor, if applicable.
2. Press the wheel studs into the hub and rotor assembly.
3. Install the hub and rotor assembly.
4. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
5. Lower the vehicle.
6. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
7. Slowly release the brake pedal.
8. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 5-6 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
9. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.

tims auto repair :

Brake pads Replacement - Rear (All except 1500 Series W/O NYS)

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution in Service Precautions.

Removal Procedure
1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
4. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

03_gc00ck8by_5-068a.png
Full Size Image

6. Inspect the brake caliper operation.

Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic's wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from it's mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

7. Remove the brake caliper from the brake caliper mounting bracket and support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake hose from the brake caliper.
8. Inspect the brake caliper assembly.

87_gc00ck8by_5-061b.png
Full Size Image

9. Remove the disc brake pads from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
10. Remove and discard the anti-rattle clips from the brake caliper mounting bracket.

Installation Procedure

87_gc00ck8by_5-061b.png
Full Size Image

1. Install the anti-rattle clips to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
2. Install the disc brake pads to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
^ Install the inner pad, 1 wear indicator.
^ Install the outer pad, 2 wear indicators.

3. Install the brake caliper to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
4. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
5. Remove the safety stands.
6. Lower the vehicle.
7. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
8. Slowly release the brake pedal.
9. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7- until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
10. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.
11. Burnish the brakes pads and rotors as necessary.

tims auto repair :
Customer:

how does hub come off

tims auto repair :

Brake Disc (Rotor)

Removal & Installation

The brake rotor can be removed without separating the caliper from the mounting bracket.

1. Release the parking brake.

1. Remove 2 / 3 of the brake fluid from the master cylinder.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

1. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Remove the caliper and mounting bracket as an assembly.

1. Hang the caliper and mounting bracket assembly from the suspension using mechanics wire.

1. Remove the rotor. Slowly turn the rotor while pulling the rotor away from the axle. (15 series).

1. Remove the rotor. Slowly turn the rotor while pulling the rotor away from the axle. (25 series).

NOTE

If the rotor is stuck to the hub, try using a slide hammer to free it.

To install:

WARNING

Whenever the brake rotor has been separated from the hub/axle flange, any rust or contaminants should be cleaned from the hub/axle flange and the brake rotor mating surfaces. Failure to do this may result in excessive assembled lateral run-out (LRO) of the brake rotor, which could lead to brake pulsation.

1. Thoroughly clean any rust or corrosion from the mating surface of the hub/axle flange.

1. Thoroughly clean any rust or corrosion from the mating surface and mounting surface of the brake rotor.

1. Inspect the mating surfaces of the hub/axle flange and the rotor to ensure that there are no foreign particles or debris remaining.

1. Install the rotor. Slowly turn the rotor while pushing the rotor towards the axle. (15 series).

1. Install the rotor. Slowly turn the rotor while pushing the rotor towards the axle. (25 series).

1. Install the caliper and the mounting bracket as an assembly.

1. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Lower the vehicle.

1. Raise and properly support the vehicle.

1. Remove the tire and wheel.

1. Remove the brake caliper.

1. Remove the brake rotor (with the hub).

1. Remove the bolts that mount the front brake rotor to the hub.

1. Remove the brake rotor from the hub.

To install:

WARNING

Any new rotor must have the protective coating removed from the friction surfaces before being placed in service. Remove the protective coating using denatured alcohol or an equivalent, and wipe the surface clean with clean cloths. Do not use gasoline, kerosene, or other oil base solvents which may leave an oily residue. This residue is damaging to the brake lining and is flammable.

1. Install the brake rotor to the hub.

1. Install the bolts that mount the brake rotor to the hub.

1. Tighten the brake rotor bolts (9/16 in OD-10 bolt pattern) to 112 ft. lbs. (152 Nm).

NOTE

Ensure that the threads are clean and greaseless before applying the thread locker.

1. Apply 272 Thread locker GM P/N 12345493, or the equivalent, to the threads of each brake rotor bolt.

1. Install the brake rotor (with the hub).

1. Inspect the brake rotor for run-out after installation.

1. Clean both sides of the brake rotor with Brake Parts Cleaner.

1. Clean the grease cap or cover .

1. Coat the inside of the grease cover with new wheel grease. Do not fill the cap.

1. Install the brake caliper.

1. Install the tire and wheel.

1. Lower the vehicle.

CAUTION

Do not move the vehicle until a firm brake pedal is obtained. Failure to obtain a firm pedal before moving vehicle may result in personal injury.

NOTE

Check the level of the brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir after pumping the brake pedal.

1. Pump the brake pedal several times in order to ensure the pedal is firm and the brake pads are adjusted.

Dual Rear Wheels

1. Release the parking brake.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

1. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Remove the hub and rotor assembly.

1. Mark the relationship of the hub to the rotor.

1. Place the hub and rotor assembly on a hydraulic press.

1. Press the wheel studs out of the hub and rotor assembly.

To install:

1. Press the wheel studs into the hub and rotor assembly.

1. Install the hub and rotor assembly.

1. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Lower the vehicle.

1. With the engine OFF , gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2 / 3 of it's travel distance.

1. Slowly release the brake pedal.

1. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 5-6 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.

1. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.

1. Release the parking brake.

1. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Remove the hub and rotor assembly.

To install:

1. Install the hub and rotor assembly.

1. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Lower the vehicle.

1. Slowly release the brake pedal.

Single Rear Wheel

1. Release the parking brake.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

1. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Remove the rotor. Slowly turn the rotor while pulling the rotor away from the axle.

NOTE

To install:

WARNING

Whenever the brake rotor has been separated from the hub/axle flange, any rust or contaminants should be cleaned from the hub/axle flange and the brake rotor mating surfaces. Failure to do this may result in excessive assembled Lateral Run-Out (LRO) of the brake rotor, which could lead to brake pulsation.

1. Install the rotor. Slowly turn the rotor while pushing the rotor toward the axle.

1. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Lower the vehicle.

1. Release the parking brake.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

1. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

NOTE

To install:

WARNING

1. Install the rotor. Slowly turn the rotor while pushing the rotor towards the axle.

1. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Lower the vehicle.

tims auto repair :

Removal & Installation

10.5 in. & 11.5 In. Axles

1. Remove or disconnect the following:

Tire and wheel

Brake caliper

Brake rotor

Flange bolts

Fig. Rear axle shaft removal-10.5 and 11.5 inch axles

1. Lightly rap the axle shaft with a soft-faced hammer in order to loosen the shaft. Grip the rib on the axle shaft flange with a locking pliers. Twist the axle shaft flange in order to start the axle shaft removal. Remove the axle shaft from the tube.

1. Remove the gasket.

1. Clean the axle shaft flange and the outside face of the hub assembly. Inspect all the parts. Replace the parts as necessary.

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Gasket onto the axle shaft

Gasket and axle shaft into the tube. Ensure the shaft splines mesh into the differential side gear. Align the holes in the axle flange and the gasket with the holes in the hub.

Axle flange bolts and tighten to 110 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).

Rotor

Caliper

Wheel and tire

1. Remove or disconnect the following:

Tire and wheel

Brake caliper

Brake rotor

Flange bolts

1. Remove the gasket.

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Gasket onto the axle shaft

Rotor

Caliper

Wheel and tire

10.5 Inch Rear Axle

1. Remove or disconnect the following:

Tire andwheel

Brake caliper

Brake rotor

Flange bolts

Fig. Rear axle shaft removal-10.5 inch 25 Series Silverado

1. Remove the gasket.

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Gasket onto the axle shaft

Rotor

Caliper

Wheel and tire

tims auto repair :
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.