Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

Ferrari F430: I have a 2005 Ferrari F430. It has the computer

I have a 2005 Ferrari F430. It has the computer controlled F1 transmission and an electronic differential. The e-diff trouble light comes on soon after the car is placed in lst gear and I start rolling. When the trouble light comes on the e-diff will default to the rain mode which means traction control kicks in at the slightest bit of slip. The car is driveable but cannot be driven aggressively. I have notice that if I drive the car for about half a mile after the trouble light comes, stop, turn off the ignition, wait for all lights to go off on the dash, restart the car, usually the e-diff trouble light will stay off. Strangely enough when I do this process the radio will shut off even though I did not touch the controls. I have been to an authorized Ferrari dealer with this issue and they have made every effort possible to repair the problem including replacing the control switch, e-diff sensor and e-diff ECU. None of this has solved the problem. The dealer has consulted with the technicians at Ferrari North America and they have concluded the next step is to replace the F1 system in the car. This will be a very expensive repair but Ferrari is working with me on the cost. I cannot help think that the problem is electronic. The e-diff works just fine so long as it does not get the message within the system that it is not working. I hope that makes sense. The local dealer has tested over and over again the current that passes between the various sensors and the ECU and cannot find a problem

Eurocar Inc. : Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!
Eurocar Inc. : Hi can you give me the fault codes stored if there was any stored please
Eurocar Inc. : thanks
Customer:

C2013, swapped ECU from a donor car and bleed the system then C2013 and C2016 codes came up. Replaced control valve and bleed the system again and C2013 and C2017 popped up. Replaced e-diff ECU with a unit containing updated software and C2013 popped up. Replace control valve again and rebleed the system, C2013 popped up. I have a copy of the dealer's service invoice if that would be helpful.

Eurocar Inc. :

that would be awesome if you can post it

Customer:

Here it is but please do not contact the dealer. He is very sensitive about the situation and might go back on our deal if he needs to replace the F1 system as Ferrari North America suggests.

Attachment: 2013-02-14_153121_ccf02142013_00002.pdf

Full Size Image

Eurocar Inc. : Understand fully !
Eurocar Inc. : Let me look at a wiring diagram and power flow of this and I will get back with you
Customer:

OK - thanks

Eurocar Inc. :

sure

Eurocar Inc. :

ok here is the scoupe!!

Eurocar Inc. :

the f1 transmission pump feeds the e diff. and when the tech replace the solenoid valve and tried to make it work i have to believe that there is debris contamination from the f1 going into the e diff. you are dealing more a contaminated mechanical issue and the solenoid cannot do the proper operation to seal or open to hold or bleed off the pressure.

Eurocar Inc. :

yeah the car is 8 yrs old with very low mileage. should this happen technically no but i do know a car that is not driven everyday is more prone to issues than a car that is driven each day.

Eurocar Inc. :

Full Size Image

Eurocar Inc. :

here is the pic of the f1 trans with the ediff internal in the transmission

Eurocar Inc. :

so i would try to fight to get the majority of the trans repair paid by Ferrari of America.

Eurocar Inc. :

i hope that the insight is a little better

Eurocar Inc. :

if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask

Eurocar Inc. :

if not please fill out positive feedback on the assistance given

Eurocar Inc. :

thanks

Customer:

Thanks.