Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Land Rover HSE: I have a 2004 land Rover with 195,000. I took

Customer Question

I have a 2004 land Rover with 195,000. I took it to a local mechanic. He said gas is leaking into the oil. The computor scan found a misfire on cylinder 3 and camshaft timing. The timing chain is very noisy. he said he knows the problem but lacks the tool (s).

Thoughts? Estimate?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Tim, If the timing chain is noisey, then this most likely is wahts causing the missfire on that cylinder, and the missfire is whats causing the fuel getting into the oil, what model is this, a Discovery? a rangerover? or a freelander?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Range Rover HSE 2004

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim. It is a 2004 Range Rover HSE with a V8.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.

Ok, on the range rover , this v-8 takes a great deal of labor to replace, almost 22 hours, so expect about a 2000 dollar bill to repair this, but if the chain is noisey, it has stretched or the timing chain tensioner is bad, either way the chain and tensioner will need to be replaced, when this happens, it gets the cam timing off and can cause this cylinder missfire, which inturn can cause the fuel in the oil,Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. The local mechanic drained some oil because of the fuel was causing high preasure. I drove about a mile home and the light came up saying 'low oil preasure stop engine'. I did.

Question: do I add a couple quarts of oil a drive to the dealer or safer to send by flatbed?

Last. is $2000 the worst case?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
If there was that much fuel in it, it needs to be drained completely, and refilled with fresh oil, the fuel has thinned out the oil and is losing oil pressure, i would not drive this anymore until it is fixed, you could danege the bearings in the motor, and this would bring the repair bill to a high amount, have it towed to the shop, do not drive it, just to be safe,Tim