Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Smart Fortwo Passion: I have a 2009 Smart For 2 Passion that

I have a 2009 Smart For 2 Passion that is setting a P0116 and P0117 code. The radiator was damaged and it did get warm, The code did not set until after the radiator was repaired. It is also getting bubbles and pressure in the expansion tank when running and it was suggested that it may have blown a head gasket.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your concern. I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

.Please Don't Forget, the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service, and not this website itself or your vehicle.

.

If you need any more on it just let me know. Thanks

..

About your vehicle.

.

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. There is a tester for that, that you can gt from Autozone for about $20. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available as:

Napa BK.(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Of course, you will want to make sure that the system is full, the coolant is circulating, and the cooling fan(s) are working as well as the pressure cap holding pressure. Thanks