Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi
21364095

For second opinion: in the morning when i started

in the morning when i started the van there was a whining noise, and after driving one block, the car dosent move it feels like in  neutral

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

The first thing you want to do is make sure you don't have an axle turning and not connected to a wheel. While not terrible common, if the axle breaks you can result in no motion and depending on the nature of the failure, it may make a similar noise prior to total failure.

Unfortunately though it sounds more like there was an internal failure in the transmission. Depending on the bearing/gear set that fails, they will make a mechanical whine noise when they fail followed by loss of movement.

Before doing anything else, check your fluid level in the transmission (engine running) to make sure it is not low. If you have a leak and the fluid gets particularly low, the oil pump could make the same sound and as little as 2 quarts low can impede movement.

If the fluid level is fine, it will need to go to a transmission shop for in depth repair.... there is nothing external to the transmission that would cause the symptoms that you describe unfortunately.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could it be the TC?

It is possible but is extremely unlikely to only be the torque converter simply because of the noise that you heard.
When a torque converter fails you will typically have the following scenario:
Engine starts fine. Engine stalls when placed in gear. If engine is revved up high and then placed into gear the transmission will bang into gear and drive fine until you stop (when it will stall again).
That is the extent of an internal converter failure, of the catastrophic nature anyway. Now as a combination failure, if the ears on the converter sheared off then this would be probable, however you would also shear off the ears on the oil pump and would likely still be in for major internal work because of it. Either way, with no problems with the axles breaking, etc, the transmission would be coming out for further diagnosis, torque converter inspection included.
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi