sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

hi i have a 2008wh grand cheerokee 4x4 limited 5.7ltr with

hi ' i have a 2008wh grand cheerokee 4x4 limited 5.7ltr with a 114000 ks on the clock its bringing up service 4wd system on the dash and binding up the front diff while trying to turn into carparks at low speed , then hit a bump in the road and light go's out and all is good but then it can come back on with out any warning, had car in to jeep dealer but no luck there any ideas? cheers mark.
Category: Car
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi there - it is staying in 4wd, but the question is why. I'll do some research, and get back to you in about an hour. Canuck
Sorry I need to opt out on this one...
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What options do you have for shifting into four wheel drive? Does it have four high and four low, or does it just have a four low setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it only has a four low setting.

It's a full time four wheel drive transfer case then.

Do you know what fault codes were found when you had it at the dealer? They're the starting point of diagnosing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

c1400/c2112/c2111

Was the dealer able to duplicate the problem to try and diagnose it?

If so, do you know what they did? If they weren't able to tell you what was wrong I'm wondering if they weren't able to see it act up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why would u try to duplicate the problem when its already there that does not make any sense thank you for your help but i think your heading down the wrong track. regards mark.

I asked because you said the dealer looked at it but was unable to determine what was wrong. I'm trying to understand why they were unable to tell you what was wrong with it, if they were unable to duplicate the problem for testing then that would explain it.

You said that the light is sometimes on and sometimes not, meaning the problem is intermittent and it would need to be duplicated to diagnose it while it's acting up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes that is true but when it was at the dealers both times the the light was on.

That's what I was asking, if they were able to see it act up.

They saw the problem happening but weren't able determine what was wrong?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes thats correct..

If they were able to see it while acting up then diagnosing it shouldn't have been a problem for a capable technician.

The problem is with the reference voltage output from the final drive control module. One code you had was for it being high and the other low which tells us there was both an open circuit and a short to ground at different times.

It's possible that this could be in the module itself but there is also a good chance it's a wiring issue. While it's acting up some testing of the circuit will need to be done to check for shorts. If the wiring is found to be ok then the problem will be the module itself.

I've also seen some poor power feeds to the final drive control module set some seemingly unrelated codes on these, so if the wiring checks out ok while it's acting up the module powers and grounds should be load tested before replacing the module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good work sprinkles08 the problem was a short in the wireing harness.

Great, I'm glad to hear you found the problem!

If I have been helpful rating my performance with OK Service or better will give me credit for helping you. Good luck with your Jeep!
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience