Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience
57969284

Chevrolet C-10 4x4: I have a 1972 Chevy, 350 V8, 3/4 ton, long

I have a 1972 Chevy, 350 V8, 3/4 ton, long wheel base, 4WD, Manual 4 speed Transmission that is in excellent condition. I have been thinking of converting the truck from Manual to Automatic Transmission. Would you please advise what problems I might encounter in doing this type of conversion. What automatic transmission would you recommend? What are the major modifications I would need to expect?
Category: Car
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi there - this is a do-able conversion, and I can point out some of the high and low points. I guess part of it depends upon how stock you want the truck to look. If you want it to look stock, you will need to source a correct steering column for the column shifter for the automatic transmission. Linkage will need to come from the same donor vehicle. Unless the engine has bee modified, a turbo 350 would work fine, but a turbo 400 is stronger, but heavier. The wreckers used to have a book called the Hollander interchange manual, which may prove helpful for finding bits and pieces. Worth noting, if value of the truck is important, it is worth more with the manual transmission. I would also want a brake pedal assembly from an automatic transmission truck, because the little pedal looks goofy with an automatic. I'll be able to give you a few more details later in the day
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the gearing of the rear differential ? Will that need to be changed out?
You will need an automatic flexplate versus the clutch, pressure plate and release bearing. I guess part of the deal depends upon your intended use. If you are wanting to go off road, then maybe consider a 4 speed automatic, but then the swap gets slightly more complicated depending upon the year of the transmission you choose. I don't see any reason to change the final gearing, as you are looking at front and rear diffs with a 4X4.
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
A 4 speed automatic would give you a low first gear, and an overdrive. The problem then become the column shifter, although some have modified a three speed auto column to work - I haven't seen plans, though
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Hi there - did you have any more questions?