Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Toyota l/cruiser: i have a 92 80 series 1hdt motor and am having

Customer Question

i have a 92 80 series 1hdt motor and am having fuel problems. have changed the filter under the bonnet twice , but when engine gets hot appears to be starving for fuel . if i stop for 10 mins goes well for about 15 mins then starts to starve again . hope you can help
motor has done 50000 klms since complete rebuild
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

Will the vehicle run and operate properly after the filter has been replaced each time?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

once the engine reaches operating temp and you have done about 30 klms it gives the impression that it is starting to starve for fuel , no matter how far the peddle goes down it will only go about 60 to 80 klms an hour , if towing even worse. once you stop for 10 mins it goes ok for awhile but starts to deteriate soon after.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

giday pete , it really made no difference. this is my second message

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,it may be possible the fuel tank is vapor locking to where it isn't venting properly.When this acts up again like this here try loosening the gas cap and see it is starts and runs properly then.If it does then the gas cap sounds like it may need replaced.

If this does not correct the fault here then next the fuel system would need to be tested and is usually best done with special test tools by an experienced shop.You may have an intermittent issue with the fuel injection pump as well that may be causing this here.I would start with the gas cap check and then go from there to see if the fault can be located and corrected.

I hope this info has helped,if you need anything else let me know before rating my help here,thanks Pete.
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just to let you know , the problem ended up being a part bocked pick up in the main tank

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thats great to hear the problem has been located.It did sound like a vapor lock or fuel system issue here.Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ths pete , i give you a rating of 5

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome,you have already rated a 4 posted above.

Thanks again and let us know if you need anything else,thanks Pete.