fordtech25
fordtech25, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN, WITH ADVANCED LEVEL CERTS.11 YEARS WITH FORD, 4 YEARS GENERAL AUTO.
49638932

Fiat 124 Spider: I have a 1978 Fiat Spider 124 convertible...it

Customer Question

I have a 1978 Fiat Spider 124 convertible...it has been sitting for 2 years so is not in running condition. Everything is original.

Someone has asked if I want sell...what is it worth.
Category: Car
Expert:  fordtech25 replied 1 year ago.
Hi I would like to help you out. Can you tell me a little more about the car? Has it been stored indoors? Is the any rust on the body? Any other known mechanical issues other than the engine not running? What is the condition of the top? Is the interior clean and useable or need of replacment and restoration? Please let me know this info so I can help you further. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I live in desert thus no rust. The car has been sitting outside covered. It needs a new top and a paint job with minor body work. The interior just needs some tender loving care and the stereo needs to be replace (stolen). I think the big with the car not running started with the electrical system. After the last time I had the tuned up if it sat for a day or two I

needed to have it charged. Then I was home caring a parent and the car

was left sitting and ignored for two years.

Expert:  fordtech25 replied 1 year ago.
ok I understand thanks for the additional info. This will help me determine a value for your car.The plus is that your car is clean rust free desert car, This makes it appealing to people who are looking for a restoration project car with out the hassle of rust ad rot to deal with. The down side is the car does not currently start, has no stereo, and will need some paint and light body work in the future. I've was talking and reviewing this info with a close friend of mine who does nothing but restore older Fiat and MG vehicles. It looks like a fair asking price for this Fiat spider 124 convertable would be about $1,000 to $1,300 dollars. Obvisously if you get it to start and maybe even drive up and down the road again on its own power that number would go up. Below Ive attached a couple links of some 78 Fiat spiders that have sold online and you can see there actual selling price as well as condition of these vehicle to compare to yours. Thanks and please reply if you need further assistance.