Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Is there a sensor external to the actual transmission that

Is there a sensor external to the actual transmission that can malfunction be diagnosed and cause transmission failure in drive but still be functional reverse and low? Can replacement of the failed sensor result in the repair and a functioning transmission,
Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2001 Mercury sable 137100 miles 3.0L v6 added transmission fluid mercon 5 to proper level

Unfortunately if the transmission will engage in Low and Reverse ranges, but not in Drive your problem is not electrical or related to any sensor. The problem is a mechanical failure within the transmission itself. To fix this problem will require either replacing or rebuilding the transmission.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your opinion is appreciated and moving on to another car soon

I am glad I could help. Thanks for using our service.