Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Isuzu Ascender: I have a 05 Ascender with a 5.3 v6. The brake

I have a 05 Ascender with a 5.3 v6. The brake control module went out and the only one available was a used one. Can the brake controller be reprogramed and who can do it due to no more dealers are available. I live in Dayton Ohio and need to know asap cause the customer is getting impaitient and I am at my wits end. Thanks
HI,

Yes, a used EBCM can be reprogrammed as it is just the tire size that will need programming for calibration purposes. If the used one comes off a vehicle with same tire size as the one it is going on, then no reprogramming needed..

A tech 2 scan tool or equivelant can do this.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did send it to the local chevy dealership and they said it would not take and I am sure they have the tech 2. I hope they wasnt blowing smoke up my.... I am also a ase certified master tech but do not have the programming capabilities. I work for a big used car dealership.

I hate saying this, but unless the used EBCM is defective, they are bs'ing you. I have programmed the new tire size into many of used EBCMs.

Alot of dealers just dont want to do this for other shops or customers with their own parts and make up reasons.

If you have a Midas or Goodyear near you, give them a call. Most of them will have a Tech2 or equivelant scanner in their shop. All my Midas shops had one that could program GM EBCMs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats what I was thinking too. I dont think the EBCM is defective cause the abs works when in panic stop, The only thing is it wont communicate with the Matco Determinator or our laptop diag tool and the traction control light is on. Not the abs or brake light that was on with old module. It had a code co265.

ok, this definitely is just a case of programming and not a defective EBCM.

About all you can do at this point since the local GM dealership wont program it for you is to call around to other shops to find one with a Tech 2 scanner. I know most Goodyears, Midas, Firestones, and Aamcos have them.

Not sure if you have those in your area, but those would be the best bet.