sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Lincoln Town Car Executive: My 1996 Lincoln has 6 way power

My 1996 Lincoln has 6 way power seats. All the features work except I can't get the driver side seat to go backward. How can I overide to get seat back?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Getting the seat to go back is going to require getting the adjuster operating again.

The first thing you'll want to do is make sure nothing foreign has gotten down in the track and is preventing the seat from moving.

You don't mention whether the seat will still go forward or not. If it will still go forward then the motor should be ok.

If it does go forward but not backward it is likely a switch issue.

If it won't work at all then your first step would be to check for power and ground at the motor. If there is power and ground but it won't move then either the motor has failed or something in the track has bound up and is preventing movement, whether it's a mechanical failure or foreign object.

If you are missing power and/or ground to the motor then you could have a wiring or switch problem and further testing would be necessary to see where power or ground is being lost.