Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley, Service Technician
Experience:  Ex Transmission Shop Owner, 30+ years in the Auto Industry

VT: Am a VT Comm V8. 130.000km. Diff. recently ohauled. Clicking

Customer Question

Am a VT Comm V8. 130.000km. Diff. recently o'hauled. Clicking in time with tail shaft. Diagnosed as crook center bearing in tail shaft. Replaced but didn't fix. Noise ranges from gentle clicking to heavy metallic clicking coming from about under left hand passenger seat or feet and influenced heavily by downward pressure on tow ball or weight of passengers and luggage. All happened while touring with caravan for 9500Km. 4 Commodore Service centers could'nt diagnose or suggest what it could be as they were busy and didn't have time to pull it down.So I understand if you can't help much, but you might give me some clues before I take it to my local.

Thanks

Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Glenn Bradley replied 1 year ago.
Hi John, it's Glenn here, glad to have you as a customer. I'd like to help you with your question.

The tailshaft has a CV (constant velocity) joint right next to the centre bearing, whenever I replace uni's or a centre bearing, I usually unscrew the CV and make sure it's got grease in there. Quite often over time the grease will leak out and then a dry CV joint becomes noisy. If the car was in my workshop other than replacing the centre bearing I'd be checking/replacing both universal joints and servicing the CV joint.
graphic
I would prefer you rate me at the very end of our session not after each response. This way I can be sure you have an answer that assists you and you can rate the whole experience.
Please reply if you need further assistance.
Don't forget that if you have any more questions or you are unsure of what I mean in the information provided please ask for more clarification, I'm only too happy to work with you to achieve a good result.

Cheers Glenn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Glenn,

Anticipating this was done, what about the CV,s and bearings in both CV shafts , if thats what they are, or axles?

The rear shafts left and right have a CV joint either end, so there is 4 all up. It's possible that one could be noisy, a split boot would be what to look for as an indication of lost grease. Also would be wise to check that they are tight (no loose screws). The reason I suggested the tailshaft was because you can feel it through the floor rather than hear it at the rear end.

The way to accurately diagnose it would be to have the car on a 4 post hoist, jack up both of the rear wheels under the lower control arms and have someone drive the car up to speed while another person is under the car listening for the location of the noise.
I've had to do that on the odd occasion to locate strange noises in the driveline.

Cheers Glenn

Glenn Bradley, Service Technician
Experience: Ex Transmission Shop Owner, 30+ years in the Auto Industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Glen, happy with your response. It might sound like I know a bit of what I'm on about when I take it to Holden.

Regards

John Hasler

Thanks John,

if you need further help with this then just come back to me via this page and we can continue the conversation.

Cheers Glenn